electrical cleaning tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical cleaning tools?

Anyone used anything like this for cleaning up electrical contacts on our bikes?

http://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Pro...D5GT17TGYTAQWJ

The de-oxit / plug / unplug / repeat process isin't quite cleaning the contacts as much as I would like to see.

Also I find it strange that I cannot find tools like this at any of the regular auto parts stores. I would be happy just to but a tiny wire brush for $10 but they don't seem to exist.
    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
    Green Dyna Coils
    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
    kevXS

Interesting idea, but looks to me to be a solution in search of a problem....

Truthfully, if the connectors are bad enough that DeOxit won't do the job they probably should be replaced. You'll never get all the corrosion out of every nook and cranny unless you chemically dip them and then you risk damaging the conducting surface.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

We shall see

I just bought the set so I'll toss a product report up when I get them.
      I have always been a firm believer in physical exercise of conducting surfaces that have been oxidizing for 30 - 40 years.

After all, grounds are the most common area where a stiff wire brush or a Dremel with a sanding drum make fast work of any corroded ground contact surface to make them a zero ohm connection again.

I would never sand a connector but a brush or interference fit item that will remove oxidation and leave bright metal surface will improve the connection better than just spritzing it with a solvent.
      79 SF & 80 LG MNS
      73 & 74 RD 350's
      73 Honda CL 450
      Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

+1 on deoxit, it works wonders on old amps it's worth every penny.
        1980 G
        Jardine Spaghetti

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/Ug...ish/slideshow/

Comment

Working...
        X