pass everything but a gas station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pass everything but a gas station

Got the beast on the road, all paperwork done and got my license plate now too

Second tank in a row that at the 18 mile mark on ODO the fuel light comes on when its on the side stand, and not too many miles past that it comes on while riding. Im seeing all kinds of posts of 100 miles till red light- which would be fine. But wowsers seems like im getting 4-5 MPG.

Granted i need to do a carb sync since the last cleaning and im not easy on the throttle when i ride her

120 jets in all 4, 42.5 pilots
    Pod filters, stock exhaust
    Dyna coils

Me thinks a syncing is due possibly this weekend! The bike is supposed to help with the fuel consumption of my car which gets 20 MPG

Ahh the joys of 35 year old motorcycles
    80 SG

The bike must be leaking, even then, I don't think the bike can leak it that fast, much less actually combust it.

Do you smell gas fumes, or in this case, do you see gas leaving a wet trail behind you when riding? Sight glass oil level is OK, not filling up with gas in the crankcase?

I get 115-120 miles before the red light on my 80SG.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

How much are you letting it idle? 30 MPG is acheavible even with a heavy right hand. Sounds like you need carb work for sure or something else is going on like a leak. Check you engine oil on the center stand after filling up when the bike sits over night. If your oil level went up then you know where the gas is going. Although, if its happened more than once now (leaking into the engine) it would have revealed itself by now so I doubt that is the case.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

idles around 30 seconds in the morning while i get my helmet on

starts with full choke, then immediate half choke then after the 30 seconds - no choke (enrichener)

Earlier in the week i did have fuel in the oil, dumped all of the oil and refilled with castrol. Has been 3 days and so far the oil level has not moved again.

I do smell gas when the bike is running but not when engine is off

The exhaust tips do look wet, and she will puff out some smoke when i get on her.

As with any project im sure i will never be "done" with it 2 years so far in my restoration
        80 SG

Comment

Are you sure the bike actually using all of that fuel or are you just trusting that warning light. It is possible the warning light sender was installed incorectly upside down. JAT
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Nope

you definitely have a problem someplace. My SF has 137.5 mains and I get 115 miles before the red light comes on. Sync will certainly help but the fuel is leaking someplace. These bikes can't use fuel that fast.
            mack
            79 XS 1100 SF Special
            HERMES
            original owner
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
            SPICA
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
            IOTA
            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
            Frankford, Ont, Canada
            613-398-6186

Comment

Too Much

Originally posted by justinc1081 View Post
              idles around 30 seconds in the morning while i get my helmet on

starts with full choke, then immediate half choke then after the 30 seconds - no choke (enrichener)

Earlier in the week i did have fuel in the oil, dumped all of the oil and refilled with castrol. Has been 3 days and so far the oil level has not moved again.

I do smell gas when the bike is running but not when engine is off

The exhaust tips do look wet, and she will puff out some smoke when i get on her.

As with any project im sure i will never be "done" with it 2 years so far in my restoration
              From what you have stated here, a carb sync is the least of your problems. You definitely have carb issues. It is going to take further work to get them corrected. I would advise no further riding in this condition, Would also change oil and filter again after carb repair.
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

i did notice on plug #2 that it was wet

all other plugs have a nice tan color to them, guessing carb 2 is my leaker

and i opened the cap and looked inside, the fuel level is pretty far down, i filled it to the top when i got gas and only have driven in town driving so no highway stuff
                80 SG

Comment

+

not sure where ur coming up with ur figures but if the fuel lght is coming on the sender wire under the tank can be grounding creating ur fuel light to come on. just my 2 cents
                  Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
                  Kerker 4/1
                  stock carbs and air box.
                  78 headlite, handle bars,
                  1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
                  crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
                  78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
                  94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                    you definitely have a problem someplace. My SF has 137.5 mains and I get 115 miles before the red light comes on. Sync will certainly help but the fuel is leaking someplace. These bikes can't use fuel that fast.
                    Bingo! Must have a trail of unburnt fuel behind you when you ride.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

took it out on lunch break and this time i could smell some fuel while at stop light, going to fill it up on way home and then take tank back off and carbs back off and see what is causing this problem
                      80 SG

Comment

Updates

Replaced the rubber seals on seats for carbs 2/3
                        triple checked float height and operation, changed jets in carbs 2/3 back to stock 110 from 120
                        replaced #2 spark plug with new NGK BP6
                        re-synced carbs

Took it out for a spin tonight around 7 miles, still tons of gas in tank, and plugs are all nice and tan marshmellow colored

So i think i am in business finally
                        80 SG

Comment

Good stuuf

To quote the simpsons: eggsellent smithers!!!!
                          mack
                          79 XS 1100 SF Special
                          HERMES
                          original owner
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                          SPICA
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                          IOTA
                          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                          Frankford, Ont, Canada
                          613-398-6186

Comment

So, you are running 110's in the middle, and 120's in the outer cyl's?
                            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Correct 110 mains in middle carbs 2/3 and 120 mains in outside 1/4
                              pretty sure that is what was in there stock form but i may be mistaken. Has happened several times in restoring this bike lol
                              80 SG

Comment

Working...
                              X