X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indicators

Hi all,

I need help with my indicators.
    If the headlights are switched off, the indicators work fine. If I switch on the headlamp the indicators do not work anymore. Also at this stage the indicator lights on the dash also light up.
    I have been working on this problem with the wiring diagram but are still unable to locate the problem.
    Any help please!
    81 H

Hi there, Johan!

Do the signals work at all when you run the engine up to 2,000 RPM? The signals need a lot of current from the electrical system to flash. If the wiring harness connectors and/or switches are dirty or corroded and the alternator and the battery aren't able to supply enough current when the engine is running then the headlight can keep the signals from working.

The headlight is supposed to turn on automatically when the engine starts, you shouldn't be able to switch off the headlights on an stock '81 H Standard aka Venturer.

If you really can turn off the headlight then someone's been into the wiring and changed the handlebar controls to do it and you'll have to trace your way through the schematic to figure out what was done.

Pictures might help....

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hi Scott,
      Note Johan is in South Africa. He probably has an "Oceana" model which may have different wiring and include a switch for the headlight ?
      Phil.
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Hey Johan,

The 81 is also a little more complicated with the turn signal wiring because it also has EMERGENCY 4 way flashers as well as the regular turn signals. It uses a separate flasher relay for the Emergency circuit which is under the seat vs. on the fuse panel assembly. But I agree with Scott in that someone has probably done some hacking on the wiring?? But I would also suggest checking out the signal controls and switch wiring on the handlebars also...take apart and make sure no wires have come unsoldered and are touching some place they shouldn't.

Also, need to verify the wiring in the headlight assembly. Good Luck.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks, Phil, I totally missed that this time!

I think the oil pressure is measured in BAR too. I'll see what I can dig up on the Aussie board downundah.

-- Scott
          _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
            Hi Scott,
            Note Johan is in South Africa. He probably has an "Oceana" model which may have different wiring and include a switch for the headlight ?
            Phil.
            Yep, those have a different wiring harness with features our NA models don't have. Do check/clean connections, particularly the grounds and especially the socket grounds inside the turn signal housings.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35339
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hi Johan,
              I have been trying to get my flashers to flash consistently as long as
              I have owned mine. Lost voltage is the cause. Finding and cleaning ALL t he connections in the circuit is my quest too. Make sure the battery is in good condition and the ground (earth) cables have a good clean connection.
              Below 2500 rpm we do not expect them to flash
              handle bar switch is my next task
              Good luck
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                Yep, those have a different wiring harness with features our NA models don't have. Do check/clean connections, particularly the grounds and especially the socket grounds inside the turn signal housings.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35339
                If it's an '81 Oceana model it'd be an RH, if it's imported it could be a straight H.
                XS1100RH 5N5 5N5-000101 1981 New Yamaha Black Oceania & Others

Johan, I couldn't find an '81 RH Oceana schematic but I found a thread on the Aussie site with one for an Europe 5K7 model:-

xs1100.com.au | Topic: Wiring probs may still be "Looming!"

Google Drive | File: SportColourWiringDiagram.pdf

LMAO! Looking at that thread on the Aussie site it would appear that Shappers gleaped my '80G US schematic for the UK site! Woot!

-- Scott
                _____

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Major task ahead of me.
                  81 H

Comment

Take your time, Johan.

The signals on my '80G all work and flash just fine with the engine off or just idling so it can be done. If they don't flash I know something is wrong.

RE: the Upsidedownundah site, I was wrong, it was Brian/melbxs, not poor Shappers!

I think Shappers made the 5K7 schematic.

-- Scott
                    _____

Comment

Working...
                    X