Removing keyed ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing keyed ignition switch

I recently met somebody with a '79F and they've lost the ignition key. Supposedly the key code is on the barrel if the assembly is removed so a new one can be made. Specifically what tools are necessary to remove the assembly? This guy has no tools so I was going to ride my XJ over and give him a hand and want to bring along the needed tools.
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
    I recently met somebody with a '79F and they've lost the ignition key. Supposedly the key code is on the barrel if the assembly is removed so a new one can be made. Specifically what tools are necessary to remove the assembly? This guy has no tools so I was going to ride my XJ over and give him a hand and want to bring along the needed tools.
    Hi Billy,
    Philips screwdriver for two screws. I had to remove the fairing on mine
    so you may need to remove the headlight. May as well clean it up while you have it out and a spot lubrication also.
    http://www.keys4urride.com/yamaha-c-...age=2&sort=20a

If your local key shop is not helpful.
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

They code is actually on the face of the lock looking right at you when you look at the lock. It is a 4 character code. Then again, it is impossible to get the wrong key when you bring the whole lock to the locksmith.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

All the ignition locks I've ever removed have been two 10MM headed bolts, I use a 1/4" drive ratchet with socket, swivel and a 6" extention. It seems some locks have a code stamped on them and some don't.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks guys.
          Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            All the ignition locks I've ever removed have been two 10MM headed bolts, I use a 1/4" drive ratchet with socket, swivel and a 6" extention. It seems some locks have a code stamped on them and some don't.
            Hi Phil,
            Either 81 H is different. PO changed the screws
            Or my memory is failing
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
            X