Clocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clocks

Hi, after being XS-less for a couple of years (my previous was a 78 xs1100e) I've just purchased a 79 1100 sf, it was imported into the UK in 95. My question is relating to the speedo as i've seen Stateside models before with 80mph speedos before now. Mine has the 160 mph speedo, were the 80mph clocks only for certain states or only fitted for a number of years. Only curious as to if mine my have had the speedo changed when it was imported. Cheers Rob
    Rob
    XS Eleven SF
    Could this be the finest Triumph Bonneville ever built ?
    (Cycle January 1979)

'78's came stock with the 160mph speedo. It was a stupid law (like most are) here in the US that said speedos could only read up to 85 mph that took effect after than.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

In the U.S., the '79 F and SF also came with the 160 mph speedometer ... the change to the 85 mph speedo took effect for the 1980 model year.

So, Rob, your '79 SF has the correct speedometer.
      Marco

Current bikes:
      1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
      1979 Honda CBX
      2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
      WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

For the record, everything had an 85 mph speedometer in 1980.

Here's one from a Chevrolet Corvette.

These 85 mph speedometers slowed us all down and saved a lot of lives.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Didn't remember if it was 79 or 80 that it started.

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          Did it ever! I used to have a '90 Chevy Silverado that once you got above about 95mph you would start to see the other end of the speed indicator wheel come up so then you still knew about how fast you were going!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, I'm thinking that with that info about the clocks and as my bike seems pretty much all original and not showing much wear, that the low mileage is genuine. There is a 1980 xs11 special on uk ebay at the moment with a genuine 13000 miles on the clock so I guess there are still some low milers out there.
            Rob
            XS Eleven SF
            Could this be the finest Triumph Bonneville ever built ?
            (Cycle January 1979)

Comment

Hey Robbo,

There are lots of low milers out there! Not many owners of bikes are true "BIKERS" willing to ride in all weather, traffic,etc.. More often they are leisure weekenders, or got caught up in the "Superbike" status that the XS11 first had, got it, enjoyed it for a while, and then parked it, only occasionally would ride it, etc.! That's why folks come on HERE all the time with Barn Finds with 15,20,30 k miles that have been sitting for years/decades. The carbs and electrics are weak spots, and with sitting around the carbs gum up, batteries die, connections corrode, and it takes a fair amount of experience and skill and some time to get them back into running condition, and lots of folks didn't have any or all of these, and so they just sit, collect dust and rust. Then the owners either loose interest, get older and can't handle the physical demands anymore, etc.. and then let the bikes go for a song! Such is the way in the USA!

I know I have registered some 20-30 new members over the past month or so and most are folks NEW to the bike, just picked one up, or inherited from someone, etc.. And so we are here to help them bring them back to life and their former glory to serve another generation.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Orrrrrr

There are people who have owned these bikes for 5 years and stink at working on them and need all you guys help on the hard stuff........
                Bike History:1980 XS 1100 special current bike
                1980 XS 850 special wife sold

Comment

Or

Some of us have been too busy working the summer season and have a long winter season. Many reasons while low mileage bikes are available. Most have to do with replacement gauges more than actual miles on a bike. Thing is if you happen to come across a low miler, be happy, and work that beauty back into shape.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

IDK - Tod has an 85mph speedo on his XJ and he's awful hard to keep up with with my 160mph speedo. Maybe my speedo needs a tuneup

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                      IDK - Tod has an 85mph speedo on his XJ and he's awful hard to keep up with with my 160mph speedo. Maybe my speedo needs a tuneup

John
                      That is funny. Adjust them valves on that speedo.

Bill
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Ha, got that beat

Originally posted by Jeffintampa View Post
                        There are people who have owned these bikes for 5 years and stink at working on them and need all you guys help on the hard stuff........
                        I bought a pair of XS's just over 1 year ago. I have spent the entire last year working on a 16 x 10 metal shed turning it into a shop/bike winter storage area. The shed will never rust or leak again and its completely insulated and air tight so that my bikes will not either.

All I've managed to do to the bikes is pull the tanks, side covers and seats off both and the hand controls off the '79. Well, that and made a lot of Ebay sellers very happy I purchased their items. And tools...I only need a Harbor Freight parts washer and sand/bead blaster to be set up to rebuild any bike and there are 4 more in line after the '79.

Like my sig say's maybe one day...fortunately that day is near because the side roof I had to put up to move all the stuff that found its way into the shed that makes it to crowded to work on anything is nearing completion. Concrete floor gets poured next week once the stump from hell gets removed this weekend.

You've made tons of progress, me? Not on the bikes like I originally intended.
                        79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                        73 & 74 RD 350's
                        73 Honda CL 450
                        Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post

John
                          My remark was intended to be facetious.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

LOL, I think John just out facetious-ed you.

CZ

Comment

Working...
                            X