No announcement yet.

Windshield Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A larger windshield/fairing will cause a low pressure area behind the windshield. This low pressure area sucks the slipstream of air into it causing buffeting.
    One of the windshields for the Pacifico fairing has the 2 round holes (about 2.5" diameter) with doodads to open or close them, vents. When open these vents relieve the low pressure area and I notice less buffeting.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
      Nope. It does not play well with my XS. My thoughts were that it would work well with a bike that has a low seat. But, on my bike, the wind wanted to take my head off. My neck actually took-on an ache using it. Switched to a Plexistar and loved it! I'll put it back on in the Fall.
      Hi Graham,
      I agree with Ian. Numerous reports of the Spitfire not playing well with an XS. I think ti is too small. I have one on my XJ650 where it works very well.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Standard Headlight

Another sad Spitfire story here. I actually called them to see if they had advice about the buffeting. The answer is it is just too small for these bikes. I personally think the issue is width - not height.

They recommended their Slipstreamer (S-03)
        (~$150 at various sites).

I also see folks have used the National Cycle Plexistar 2
        (~$200 at various)

Anyone have pros/cons between the 2 choices?
        1980 XS1100 Standard (G)
        Original Owner
        Stock plus:
        K&N air filter, Supertrapp 4x1, Techna-fit SS brake lines, TC Fuse Block, TKAT Fork Brace
        ...dirt and grime from several states.
        -------------------
        2011 FJR1300
        1978 SR500

Comment

I have one on my 79SF and I love it, gives a nice blast of air to the face but keeps it off your chest. I don't ride over 80 with though very often.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            I have one on my 79SF and I love it, gives a nice blast of air to the face but keeps it off your chest. I don't ride over 80 with though very often.
            How tall is yours when your sitting on your bike. Chest height? Neck height?
            I have thought about cutting mine down. Last time I had it on it came up about chin height. It won't go much lower than that. Perhaps cutting it down would both decrease and lower the buffeting zone. Might make it less noticeable.
            Graham in Surrey, B.C., Canada

1979 XS1100 Special.

Mac 4 into 2 chrome exhaust.
            Dyna high performance coils.
            Drilled air box.
            K&N air filter.
            Pics https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4tpyuurw3...XjCLWeTVa?dl=0

Comment

Not sure if I agree with this, but the general rule is: the height of the windshield should be at eye level, or slightly below, so as to allow clearer vision should it start to rain. This supposedly eliminates buffeting, too. The angle of the shield should approximate the angle of the forks.
              79 F
              Previously owned: (among others)
              1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
              1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
              1973 Suzuki TM 125
              1979 XS1100 F
              2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
              1991 BMW K75

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
                Not sure if I agree with this, but the general rule is: the height of the windshield should be at eye level, or slightly below, so as to allow clearer vision should it start to rain. This supposedly eliminates buffeting, too. The angle of the shield should approximate the angle of the forks.
                This is the position I first used when I got it. It is also when the buffeting was at its worst. I think I am going to cut it down to about upper chest height. I have the proper bit for my Dremel tool for cutting plexi. I rarely ride in the rain. Witch is about half the year here.

1979 XS1100 Special.

Drilled air box.
                K&N air filter.

Comment

The top of my windshield is nose height or a little below and I have the angle set in line with the fork rake angle.

2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

[QUOTE=bikerphil;468193]The top of my windshield is nose height or a little below and I have the angle set in line with the fork rake angle.

I sit a fair bit higher on my stock bike.

1979 XS1100 Special.

Drilled air box.
                    K&N air filter.

Comment

Nose level would certainly be better.....

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                      The top of my windshield is nose height or a little below and I have the angle set in line with the fork rake angle.
                      I recently installed a windscreen a friend loaned me for my trip to XSSE in a couple months. I've never had a shield on a bike before and it is definitely going to take some getting use to.

At the moment it's installed with the top at almost perfect eye level. I've got to mess with it a bit more as being a perfect eye level is horribly distracting. Getting it to my nose would probably be perfect as you mentioned.

This screen has a bunch of adjusting points available (don't know the brand) It's gonna take a lot of messing around with it to get it right.

Kurt
                      Last edited by kboehringer; 07-17-2015, 06:08 PM. Reason: added the pic I missed
                      Kurt Boehringer
                      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Well. Today I actually tried cutting the shield down. I took about 6" off the top. Turned out good. Used a Dremel tool with a Plexi Glass bit.Then used a barrel sander to even it out. I wanted to see if I could use it just to keep the wind off my body leaving shoulder height and above in the wind. NO GOOD!. Anyway. I'm not gonna butcher it any further. I don't really need one that bad and I would rather spend the money on other upgrades for the bike than buy another one. Fairing style shields are bulky looking and I think spoil the look of the bike. I will just put the full shield on my helmet and hang on.

1979 XS1100 Special.

Drilled air box.
                        K&N air filter.

Comment

Working...
                        X