Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove stuck manifold bolts (a slightly satirical tutorial)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove stuck manifold bolts (a slightly satirical tutorial)

Recently I posted about how I had managed to snap off two of three frozen manifold bolts. After nearly two weeks of of making my wife's life miserable storming around the garage, cursing up a storm, smacking **** with a hammer, and hurting myself I have found a solution.

heres what you'll need
    • titan stud puller
    • bolt extractor kit
    • left handed drill bits
    • PB blaster
    • crc freeze off
    • Dremel with sanding head for metal
    • center punch
    • hammer
    • chisel
    • torch
    • vice grips

If you haven't already, go ahead and snap the heads of the studs off, there gonna snap of anyway you really are only saving yourself time. The titan stud puller does a great job with this, otherwise just smack it with a hammer and chisel. doesn’t really matter how far down the stud you snapped it off, I personally like to leave about a quarter inch so it’ll just stare at you mockingly while you try to grab it with your vice grips.

Take your Dremel and smooth out your now severed stud.

Next take your left handed set of drill bits and chuck them over your neighbors fence there gonna break anyway, again we are saving you time.

Coat the stud and surrounding area with freeze off keep spraying until you feel light headed or start hallucinating. For faster results keep the garage door closed.

Bang on stud with a hammer until hallucinations go away.

Open garage door go out for a smoke use torch to light cigarette while burning off eyebrows.

Return to garage grab center punch and line it up with the center of stud, swing hammer, miss, holler in pain, throw both over fence.

Get out bolt extractor kit, be forewarned these won’t work, your only doing this so when you post here later you can say you tried. follow instructions on kit.

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS:
    if you have broken studs

This is what you need:
    • OEM heli-coil kit 8mm
    • HSS or harder drill bits maximum size 21/64
    • Electric drill
    • PB blaster
    • Dremel with sanding head for metal
    • vice grips
    • assembly lube

Take one of your exhaust brackets and mount it using a new stud in the hole across from your broken stud. if both a broken this technique won’t work for you. Make sure you use assembly lube so you don’t end up with another

you will be using the bracket to line up your drill so make sure you tighten the bolt so the bracket doesn’t move.

Now you have a choice either start with the 21/64th bit and begin drilling out the bolt or gradually work up to that size bit by drilling a small pilot hole and increasing the bit size sequentially.

Make sure you don’t drill too deep you can check you progress with a stud you want the ball on the stud to be a little more half way in the hole. you want it more then halfway because the tap in the kit is slightly tapered and thus will not provide usable threads the last 1/16-1/8in or so of the hole.

tap the hole screw in the heli-coil and retrieve your tools from your neighbors yard. or don’t its a good excuse to skimp on this years neighborly christmas gift.
    79 F Bobber/Cafe Hybrid
    Rasputin on Carburators:
    "It is just a mechanical beast that defies logic."

Yes! <pumps arm> BTDTGTTS!

Needs pictures.

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Yes, want pics of cigarette and eyebrows being lit concurrently...
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
      X