Whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whine

I have a whine sound that comes from my front end. I originally thought it was the speedometer drive as it seems to be coming from that area. I took it apart, removed the gear and cleaned it with brake clean. The grease that was in it looked old and dry like candle wax. I regressed it with general purpose moly grease. I also cleaned the cable and lubed it with 75w90. It still whines but only at slow speeds. If I stab the front brakes hard it goes away, strange. When I remove the cable the sound goes away entirely. I have read a bunch of posts on this and many say it is the speedometer itself, it does not sound like it's coming from the speedometer, sounds like it's coming from the drive. Thanks
    1980 G
    Jardine Spaghetti

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/Ug...ish/slideshow/

Unhook the cable and hook a drill to it and see if that's what is whining. Just be careful because the wire will come out of the cable sheath. Then put the bike on centerstand and get front wheel off the ground with either someone holding down on back end or a floor jack to get the front to just clear the ground and spin the wheel to check the speedo drive. Or.. remove speedo cable and go ride it.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I also cleaned the cable and lubed it with 75w90.
      You need a speedo cable lube for it! It should be LIGHT OIL and Graphite, NOT gear oil. Also, DO spray some silicon lube into the speedo unit. I just spritz a little into the cable connection. Give it a day to settle in, and see if it's still noisy.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

OK so light oil or graphite spray for the cable? And just silicon spray for the speedometer drive? Thanks
        1980 G
        Jardine Spaghetti

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/Ug...ish/slideshow/

Comment

Disconnect the cable from the drive and test ride. Is it gone? No, replace the drive. Yes reconnect the cable to the drive and disconnect the cable at the speedometer and test ride. Is it gone? No, replace the cable. Yes, reconnect the cable to the speedometer. Did the noise come back? Yes, replace the speedo.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

This won't help the OP much, but it might help someone looking to solve similar problems down the road ...

I also had a whine from the front end (I actually searched the forums for "whirring" which helped to nail it down to the speedo - prior to that I couldn't figure out what the hell was making that awful noise). I also noticed that the speedo was sometimes bouncing a little at low speed.

Following the advice on some other threads, I disconnected the cable from the speedometer and lubed the cable a little with cable lube, and then fired some silicon into the speedo housing. The whirring (as of today) is substantially diminished (but not gone) and the bouncing appears to have stopped entirely. I imagine I'll need to pull off the speedo one of these days (when it's not 120-degrees in my garage) and clean it out, but for now it's a lot better than it was. I can live with it.

Others have asked if it's necessary to remove the speedo for this. It's NOT. But if you have larger fingers, the speedo cable fastener isn't easy to reach, or to get tools to. It's possible with a little patience, tho.

Finally, there's a pretty great speedo teardown by Steptoe at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eef7FLG2mag - that gives a pretty good idea of how it works and how to troubleshoot.
            Last edited by VegasMichael; 07-11-2015, 04:19 PM. Reason: added video link
            79 SF

Comment

Working...
            X