Barn find freebie 1978 xs1100E

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • olinrj
    replied
    Yes. If you could ask for Jim Wiegand, it would be appreciated.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gmac
    replied
    Thanks!

    Is the company Bearings Inc. in WI at that address?

    Leave a comment:


  • olinrj
    replied
    Street prices for bearings

    Finally got the pricing from Jim. Total for the bearings with state tax is $179.00. This doesn't include any shipping. He indicated they can ship direct so if people are interested, I will make sure he is ready for any orders. I have attached a photo of the invoice showing all the bearing and seal part numbers, but please note that he doesn't show the 6303-2RS as the 2 required, only one for the price. Here is the pricing for those who aren't able to see the photo:

    Timken 32005X-90KA1 $29.27
    Timken 32006X-90KA1 $36.20
    NTN NA5904 $48.13
    Koyo 6303 2RS $14.93
    Koyo 6304 2RS $15.98
    25x52x5 oil seal $5.29
    25x38x6 oil seal $4.78

    I have not yet installed any of these so if there is a part number that is incorrect please let me know so I can correct the list.

    Leave a comment:


  • olinrj
    replied
    The bearings came in. All look to match the part numbers I've found in various threads. I still need to get the pricing from Jim as this was a birthday gift from my parents. (Thanks!) As soon as I have the pricing i'll pass it along. For those of you who are interested, I will check with Jim about direct shipping.


    Leave a comment:


  • olinrj
    replied
    Will do.
    Thanks,
    Bob

    Leave a comment:


  • alaskey2
    replied
    Also interested, please update.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gmac
    replied
    I would be interested

    In purchasing a full set of bearings through that parts house once you get the part numbers and price.

    Leave a comment:


  • olinrj
    replied
    Just got off the phone with Jim about the bearings. I decided to order new wheel bearings all around as well as the steering bearings. Wheel bearings will be NTN ans steering are Timken. Should have them in about a week. Will post up part numbers and pics when they come in.

    Leave a comment:


  • olinrj
    replied
    Thanks for confirming that. I was leaning that way based on the how to threads but wanted to be sure before cutting him loose. Will post an update and start a new thread once I hear back.

    Leave a comment:


  • Prisoner6
    replied
    Originally posted by olinrj
    I reached out to a friend of my father who works at a bearing supply house and he can get the NA5904 bearing but wanted to clarify one thing. The bearing comes with or without an inner ring. Which is correct for our application?
    Bob,

    The XS11 left rear wheel bearing is a caged needle roller bearing which has an outer race and a removable inner race.

    Once you let your Dad's friend know, we'll be curious to hear the price ...

    Leave a comment:


  • olinrj
    replied
    I reached out to a friend of my father who works at a bearing supply house and he can get the NA5904 bearing but wanted to clarify one thing. The bearing comes with or without an inner ring. Which is correct for our application? Price is pretty good and he can have them within a week. Should I tell him to order additional bearings to have on hand for other members? I'll confirm price once the inner ring concern is settled.
    thanks,
    Bob

    Leave a comment:


  • Prisoner6
    replied
    Originally posted by olinrj
    ... Any suggestions for a source? A search on the interwebs only turned up ebay and amazon for the Barnett heavy duty part number.
    Bob,

    Partzilla has the clutch springs ... have a look at this:

    Barnett Clutch Spring Kit

    Leave a comment:


  • olinrj
    replied
    Thanks for the tip DiverRay! I'll add it to the list. I assume that while I am in there I should check the plates for thickness as well. Anything else while it it open? Any suggestions for a source? A search on the interwebs only turned up ebay and amazon for the Barnett heavy duty part number.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Leave a comment:


  • DiverRay
    replied
    One item you WILL need is springs for the clutch! After 30+ years, they just do NOT work well. The stock plates are probably good, so a set of BARNETT springs, and ONLY Barnett, will help the clutch. Welcome to the site! and let us know if you are in need of parts. We ALL have a few "spares" around, and will help out when needed.

    Leave a comment:


  • olinrj
    replied
    TopCat,
    thanks for checking in. Correct, the headlight and turn signals are Honda. When the fairing failed that was what he had on hand, so on they went. The seat is nice, no tears or worn spots. He said it was quite comfortable for long rides. The gauges are for the shocks, one for thr front, one for the rear. The owner prior was apparently a shorter rider and the forks were set lower in the triple trees, the air shocks making up the difference. The oil cooler has a brand tag on it, don't recall at the moment but it will probably stay on. I plan on getting a fuse holder once I am into the electrical portion of the bike and plan on calling on you. Concerning the bearings, in a previous job my wife worked in the office of a machine shop and developed a great relationship with a local bearing supply house. I may check with them on the left rear bearing.
    I'll try to get some more pictures of the rest of the bike tomorrow, and they should be up tomorrow evening.
    Thanks again,
    Bob

    Leave a comment:

Working...