brake line re do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake line re do

Going to put on my stainless brake lines tomorrow, anyone want to share any words of wisdom?
    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
    Green Dyna Coils
    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
    kevXS

i ordered the new lines from techna fit

http://www.technafitstore.com/category-s/39903.htm
    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
    Green Dyna Coils
    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
    kevXS

Comment

I installed a set of techna fit last week. Take special note of how the brakes lines are oriented, its important that they "sit" right. I used my old banjo bolts, they fit better (with new bb washers). Remove the splitter and clean it out, there was some gunk in mine at the end of the threads. Also, the grommets did not fit, I had to slice them off and use the factory grommets. I used a vacuum bleeder, from what I read on this site standard bleeding procedures don't work when the lines are changed, you either have to reverse or vacuum bleed it.
      1980 G
      Jardine Spaghetti

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/Ug...ish/slideshow/

Comment

Lines

If you have not already done so, you should rebuild both master cylinders and all calipers. Replace any pitted caliper pistons. Do this and you will be good for many miles/years to come.
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I need to add this to my list as soon as I get her running and charging better.
          Let us know how they came out.

Bill
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

I've got a rear ss caliper piston I would part with cheap. Ordered two by mistake when I did mine. Can't recall size but I have an 80SG. Still in the box.

Pm me if anyone is interested.
            Steve R

'80 SG
            "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
            1978 XS400E Red
            1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

I replaced my old 'rubber' lines with techna-fits last year. I bled them the old-fashioned way, and all the air came out of the lines, no problem. They work great.
              79 F
              Previously owned: (among others)
              1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
              1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
              1973 Suzuki TM 125
              1979 XS1100 F
              2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
              1991 BMW K75

Comment

The lines went on pretty well, havent bled them yet. Tried to bleed the rear but it wouldnt bleed and the plunger area is pretty dirty so I am trying to remove the circlip that holds the plunger in the rear master cylinder for cleaning.I have the m/c upside down on the workbench and the circlip area soaking in pb blaster but so far it wont budge with the pliers. Any tips for removing this?
                1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                Green Dyna Coils
                Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                kevXS

Comment

Take an awl and try to spin the clip in the direction of the adjacent tap, collapsing it, go back and forth and that should free it up.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                    Take an awl and try to spin the clip in the direction of the adjacent tap, collapsing it, go back and forth and that should free it up.
                    I ground the tips of some plastic handle scissors to round points even though I had circlip pliers. Then put the points in the holes and put a c-clamp on the scissor ends, it finally popped it out. Lots of gunk.

But have your phone or camera ready and take a photo of that piston when it comes out. It's easy to put the new pieces on wrong and not be able to pump fluid. DAMHIK.
                    Steve R

'80 SG
                    "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                    1978 XS400E Red
                    1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

I got the clip out but how do I get the piston out? I thought it would just slide out.
                      1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                      Green Dyna Coils
                      Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                      kevXS

Comment

Pull/rock it out with a pliers. If you can get a needle nose vise grips on it, you may be able to pry under the tip with a screwdriver blade.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

xj1100 brake lines

Didnt want to hijack the thread but does anybody know if the xj1100 lines are the same as the xs specials? I put a set of the technafit lines on my other bike, an xs standard, 80 and they rock, very good quality and easy to fit on. Just checking to see if anyone has info on the xj1100 model???? Mike in Sun Diego
                          mike
                          1982 xj1100 maxim
                          1981 venture bagger
                          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                          1959 wife

Comment

Since the XJ has linked brakes and different calipers, handle bars, etc., I'll go out on a limb and say no. XS1100 Special brake lines won't fit an XJ1100.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
                              Didnt want to hijack the thread but does anybody know if the xj1100 lines are the same as the xs specials? I put a set of the technafit lines on my other bike, an xs standard, 80 and they rock, very good quality and easy to fit on. Just checking to see if anyone has info on the xj1100 model???? Mike in Sun Diego
                              Go ahead and send your XJ lines to Techna-Fit, and they'll send you back your old lines right along with your new lines. Chris @ Techna-Fit will be the contact person.

Your other option is to pay a lot more and go through Chacal. My goal was to save money though. Glad everyone is enjoying those Techna-Fit lines.
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X