Emergency Shut Off Switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Shut Off Switch?

I just tried to start my 1980 XS1100 Special after storing it for the winter. I prepped it for storage in every way I know how and have not had a problem in the past. Today I go to start it and no go. I have compression, fuel but suddenly no spark. I believe that I have traced the problem to the emergency shut off switched mounted in the little rubber mount under the tank. However, I am not sure because it is behaving in the exact opposite manner I would expect it to. I popped the cover off so I could watch the little copper disc slide around as I watched for spark. I noticed that when the copper disc is resting in the center on the insulation I have no spark. However, when I tip the switch and let the disc fall off of the insulation and make contact on the copper slide, then I have strong spark. Isn't this backwards? What am I to make of this? Is this an indication that I am looking in the wrong place? Can I cut this thing off and throw it away? Somebody give me a clue.

Just unplug it to bypass, no need to jump any wires.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thank you I didn't know that. But can you think of a reason why the switch would operate in the opposite manner expected. Does this indicate a problem with something else like my ignition unit?

Comment

Working...
      X