dropped a bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dropped a bolt

Well putting on the chain sprocket I dropped a bolt for it of course down the chain. cant see it, I think it went down as far as it can cause I cant see it any ware looking both sides of the chain etc.

Were would it end up? best course of action?

Thanks all
    Bike History:1980 XS 1100 special current bike
    1980 XS 850 special wife sold

No fun.. if it worked its way down into the lower case half, I'm not sure you're going to have much luck retrieving it. Unless I'm mistaken, the primary chain would channel it toward the front and it could slip into the lower half. If you're lucky, it could have gotten hung up and you could fish it out with a magnet. If you fish around with a magnet, make sure the magnet it securely attached to whatever you're using. I've had the extendable pen-style magnets break free of their adhesive and come off of the end

Upper case:

Lower case:
    82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
    Website/Blog

Comment

Well

I have moved the chain every witch way and had a pen light down in the valley. Its not between the chain and the lower sprocket, not hung up any ware, I have moved the chain as far back and can see pretty deep and still don't see it. I have looked and looked and don't see it.

Comment

If you do not get it fishing around with a magnet from above there is the chance it fell past the chain and crank and into the front bottom. I had one of the bolts for the sprocket do that to me once and removed the oil pan and slid a magnet in and around to get it but I am lucky. It may be tangled in the cam chain or the chain tensioner it may actually be on the side where the tensioner bolts on. Get a good light and as mentioned get a good magnet to fish around with it does not need to be real powerful just enough to lift the bolt.

Do not try to run or turn the bike over with starter till you find the bolt. By hand slowly but not with power but look everywhere first it could save you from taking the head off.
        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
        1980 G Silverbird
        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
        1198 Overbore kit
        Grizzly 660 ACCT
        Barnett Clutch Springs
        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
        122.5 Main Jets
        ACCT Mod
        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
        Antivibe Bar ends
        Rear trunk add-on
        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

well

I got a good pen light and can see clearly the chain going around the bottom sprocket so no bolt there, pushed both of the chain runs forward and not behind them, got the magnet below the chain between the chain going around the sprocket and the chain runs swept a inch by inch under the lower sprocket and didn't pick it up

whats next pull the oil pan?

Comment

I tell ya

I totally suck at working on this bike I really should just get rid of it. Man I had all the shims in perfect, all the parts laid out perfect, went to put the first sprocket on the cam and boom screwed my self. I have swong that magnet almost all around the bottom of the lower sprocket and haven't picked it up yet. Cant belive on dropped bolt can screw me so bad. I need one of you guru's living close to me......

Comment

Go in from the oil pan on the bottom of the motor. You will probably find the dropped nut when you slide your hand in palm down, towards the front of the engine. That's where I found mine!
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
                Go in from the oil pan on the bottom of the motor. You will probably find the dropped nut when you slide your hand in palm down, towards the front of the engine. That's where I found mine!
                So I dumped the oil and filter stuck mag in the hole and didn't pick anything up I blew down the channel.

Gosh were could it be? My wife looked down at every angle I moved the chain and didn't see it

Comment

Are you 100% sure you dropped it in the can chain tunnel? I've wasted plenty of time looking where I thought a part fell to find out it was nowhere near. I had a panicked moment like this to find the bolt sitting in the cam area. The harder it is to find, the less likely you will be to ever skip blocking the opening with rags again.

Don't give up and you'll get it out eventually.
                  82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                  Website/Blog

Comment

Get it Out

Try using a mirror to help you see it. It can also reflect the flashlight beam to different angles for a better view. If you can borrow a bore scope, it may be of great value in locating the bolt.

Don't give up. But it does have to come out.
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Prothec View Post
                      Are you 100% sure you dropped it in the can chain tunnel? I've wasted plenty of time looking where I thought a part fell to find out it was nowhere near. I had a panicked moment like this to find the bolt sitting in the cam area. The harder it is to find, the less likely you will be to ever skip blocking the opening with rags again.

Don't give up and you'll get it out eventually.
                      You think like my wife she said the same thing, area is picked up so if it hit the ground (on a rug) we would of found it. I have had that magnet stick down the front of the chain, rear of the chain, on the rear, when I did a strong forward lean it went really deep, and didn't pick it up there either,

WERE OH WERE could my cam bolt be......

Comment

have you

rotated the motor a couple times by hand yet. I believe it was a NUT you lost. We all have lost a nut or washer in there. I've started to wear a latex glove with a bar magnet down my middle finger to catch them before they can drop into the dark nether regions. I also stuff the cavity with a towel when doing the #3's to reduce the likely hood. If it landed on the hyvo chain rotating will act as a convayer belt and deposit it into the pan. There are a few shelves in there that may catch it until the flushing action of the oil will push it down to the pan but if the cam or hyvo don't bind, your good, but check your pan in 5oo miles just for your piece of mind. You do have a spare nut right?
                        mack
                        79 XS 1100 SF Special
                        HERMES
                        original owner
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                        SPICA
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                        IOTA
                        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                        Frankford, Ont, Canada
                        613-398-6186

Comment

Just because

My dad used to live in one end of the building I call my shop. We were replacing the compressor on his fridge when a socket dropped off the extension and disappeared. we looked every place for about a month. Kneeled down on the floor and put out eyes level with the concrete, moved equipment etc., and never could find it.
                          We were watching a ball game some time later and it wasn't terribly close; so, MY mind was wandering and I happened to glance down at his feet. I saw something and asked dad when was the last time he had washed his pants.
                          Of course being old and frugal, he stated that he wore them everyday so he only washed them once they were very dirty. I said daddy, look in your left cuff for me will you. He reached down and pulled the missing socket out of the cuff of his pants.
                          I can't really tell you what he said because TC frounds on that type of language, but let me assure you, my dad was very colourful.
                          mack
                          79 XS 1100 SF Special
                          HERMES
                          original owner
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                          SPICA
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                          IOTA
                          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                          Frankford, Ont, Canada
                          613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                            rotated the motor a couple times by hand yet. I believe it was a NUT you lost. We all have lost a nut or washer in there. I've started to wear a latex glove with a bar magnet down my middle finger to catch them before they can drop into the dark nether regions. I also stuff the cavity with a towel when doing the #3's to reduce the likely hood. If it landed on the hyvo chain rotating will act as a convayer belt and deposit it into the pan. There are a few shelves in there that may catch it until the flushing action of the oil will push it down to the pan but if the cam or hyvo don't bind, your good, but check your pan in 5oo miles just for your piece of mind. You do have a spare nut right?
                            It was a cam sprocket bolt the 10mm little black ones that hold on the sprocket to the cam.

Comment

should I remove the Oil pan, well I guess exhaust and then oil pan, what is the best course of action?

Comment

Working...
                              X