Engine speed at freeway speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine speed at freeway speeds

Quick question since it has been awhile since I have ridden my XJ11 is the tach needle normally in the 4000 range on the freeway? I know every time I get in the freeway I always find myself reaching for that non-existent sixth gear. Thanks

me to

I know what you mean It would be nice to have one more gear. I don't think these bikes were made for highway cruising I know if I put 75-80 miles on my bike I am ready to get off lol
    Bike History:1980 XS 1100 special current bike
    1980 XS 850 special wife sold

Comment

was the 1st year and with 17" rear wheel and not a special with 16" rear. We were heading to the 55mph. speed limit with gas prices getting way up there at around $1.50 other countries were selling fuel by the liter at more than that.
      Given that and the speed race being on between the MC companies (79 special was the 1st big stocker to do under 11 sec. 1/4 mi.) the special was still able to cruise at 65mph.. I put over 350mi. in an afternoon at 55-70mph. on my brand new 79 special, gas stops of course.
      With that said the 750/850 final drive swap is popular (brings rpms. down a few hundred) but with the small gas tank on the special, well, your limited as to distance between gasups. If you have a special the standard 17" rear wheel could lower rpm. a little more, choice of rear tire could also make a little difference. The European XS11s all had the 17" rear wheel.
      Run it and have fun !
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Rpm

These bikes will run all day everyday at 7K. They like it. Gas stops and wrist fatigue and other human frailties tend to be the limitation. I made it from Ottawa Ontario Canada to downtown, Vancouver British Columbia in 2 1/2 days on my SF. It rained the entire trip. First night I stayed in Ignace Ontario, second night was Medicine Hat Alberta,( large accident had closed the highway) so it was a short day, I couldn't sleep with the white line fever and all, so I got up at 3 am and hit the road. I was standing in Vancouver at 1130 am local that day. My butt still gets numb just thinking about it. I figured it out once with riding time and gas stops that I had to average 80 MPH. I think I was 24 years old and still thought I was bullet proof.
        mack
        79 XS 1100 SF Special
        HERMES
        original owner
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
        SPICA
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
        IOTA
        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
        Frankford, Ont, Canada
        613-398-6186

Comment

I wasn't truly convinced the XS/XJ was a highway runner for this day and age, for the same reasons shared above. Was designed when 55 mph was literally the law of this land and a sub-12 second 1/4 mile was the goal.

Been proven thousands of times these bikes will do 75-80mph all day long and relaibly. These engines just don't die. The sturdiness of the driveline is legendary as well.

I still don't like 4000 rpm at 60 mph (80SG) so did the final drive swap and it is a 400 rpm reduction at 60 mph, not just a few hundred, FWIW. Makes a whole lot nicer at the legal highway speeds we have today, gains 1-2 mpg as well. The FD swap to my mind is best on the Special as the 16" rear tire is the reason for the 400 rpm gain @ 60 mph vs the Standard.

Do the auto cam chain tensioner swap to replace old manual unit if you haven't already. How long has it been since you rode it, to not remember the highway rpm?
          Last edited by Bonz; 06-27-2015, 07:08 AM.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Ride More Often

If the 4K+ rpm at speed bothers you, just ride more until you get used to it. No harm, no foul to the engine at 4K. "Ride it like you stole it".
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I really hate riding a motorcycle on the interstate. I hate it in the car, for that matter. That being said, my Special works just great with the stock gear ratio. 50-60 mph and I'm just getting into the power band. Since I live in motorcycle Disneyland, I wouldn't consider swapping the final drive. It's a 35 year old bike, and it's no Harley! Let it spin!
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Marty, it's more than just a little buzz and vibration after riding all day but that '750 Mod won't work on any of you roadrunners anyway!

Wile E. Coyote - Earthquake Pills (Suspenseful Version)

-- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Everybody else has already chimed in with all of the right reasons.
                  The charging system doesn't kick in fully till ~2500 anyways, and as stated the powerband starts around 3500, so you're just at the beginning with 3+ k rpm range to play with...5th gear rollon passes for example!

Can't recall all of the work you may have recently done, but IF you haven't serviced the clutch....and the springs are many years old, you could be having a little slippage there as well which could also add a bit to the rpms, as well as reduce your mileage.

I'm with Marty, have a special, enjoy the twisties, and have no problem running it at 5+k rpm for hours at a time. That's right, these aren't HARLEY thumpers.....they like the rpms!!!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

my 78 standard really really liked 5000 rpm
                    Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                    Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                    and SOXS
                    2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

I did the 750 FD swap a few years ago before a longish trip to Northern Minnesota. The taller gears were very smooth on the interstate. It's been 3 years since I did the swap and I beat the hell out of my '11 on occasion. It's still pretty quick around town too.

I'd get a cheap 750 drive off eBay and swap it in. It just takes a few hours to do it right. And you can always switch back to shorter gears if you want to.
                      1) Fire up Internet Explorer
                      2) http://www.yahoo.com
                      3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
                      4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by mwsxj1100j View Post
                        I know every time I get in the freeway I always find myself reaching for that non-existent sixth gear. Thanks
                        A few times I've shifted into 5th gear twice just to make sure I was in 5th gear. A 6th would be great. I don't enjoy highway riding either on this bike. The CBR600 I used to borrow was not comfortable either. I've yet to ride a larger true cruiser bike like a 700lb HD with fairing, forward controls, sofa style seat, etc.. These riders "look" comfy when strolling down the interstate at 70mph.
                        Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Get the 850 Fd, shown to be a tad more stout as per 3Phase.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                          X