Suspension settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension settings

Since I have again started riding my XJ since my April fools day crash in 2010 I now remember how rough theses Milwaukee roads are and how they just beat up my butt (and the seat doesn't help the issue either). Heck the ride wasn't much better on my buddies 2006 Softail, one thing I will say about that bike is it really roasts your right thigh.

Now back to business, with the XJ's air suspension you can adjust it for dampening and such but I need advice on setting it for the most comfortable ride. I replaced the fork seals so I am not too nervous about adding air to them, but I do worry about addin air to the 33 year old shocks and possibly blowing the seals. I haven't a clue as to where to find parts or how to repair them if I did blow the seals. Also should I have the suspension charged with nitrogen or jus use air? What is the best set up remembering that I live in Milwaukee and these roads suck! The snow, salt, ice, and plows just chew them up. Any help suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

mwsxj1100j,

They're decent shocks, use regular compressed air unless you just happen to have some old nitrogen laying around. Other than that you can do anything you want from just putting air in them and setting the damping, changing the oil, or doing a rebuild:-

XJ1100 Rear Air Shock Rebuild
    by 0011mixaM aka Perry

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I rebuilt my shocks twice due to some pitting on the inner tubes. Haven't had a problem holding air or oil since.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the seat on the XJ being a "torture device", but it is the most comfortable of my bikes coupled with the air shocks...

I use a small hand pump. If you try to use even a small compressor you're asking for blown seals. DAMHIK
      82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
      Website/Blog

Comment

Working...
      X