Original Paint MNS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Paint MNS

This may seem rather trival but I'm curious. I just got this 80 Midnight Special and noticed something different about the paint on the tank & fenders. It appears that there was a clearcoat with a slight amount of rose colored metalflake applied over the black. It's real fine I has to be in direct light to see. I had looked at another one dureing my search and the fella that owned it said something about the metalic in the black. The coating isn't very thick cause I was useing some fine compound on the frt fender yesterday and rubbed right through to the solid black I bought this off the original owner ( still has his name on the frt tag) & I'm just about positive he didn't have anything done to it. Has anyone else with one of these noticed this? I will probably redo the paint this winter and would like to replicate whatever was original. BTW, while on the subject, does anyone know how many of these were made? I called Yamaha & the lady said "that isn't public information"! Like it's some kinda military secret. LOL!
    Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
    2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Sorry for the double post. hit the wrong key & thought I had lost the other one.
    Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"

Comment

original paint

I understand the arguement re: keeping your original "factory black custom" paint. Remember, it was applied about 24 years ago and we can only do so much to restore it. Let me suggest searching your area for an industrial metal refinisher(ie powdercoating). I just made a deal with one near me to add my stuff to "the end of a big job" for about $150 (fenders, tank and other little stuff). Compare that to the cost of a custom paint job plus the durability of powdercoating. One other thing, if your tank has any bondo from past repairs, powdercoating won't work. Good luck!
      Doyle

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have mentioned that I'm in the autobody bussiness so it will be getting painted.
        Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"

Comment

I needed to paint a side cover of a '79 Special to match the stock "Black Gold" of the tank. I added some "House of Color" gold flake to "House of Color" basecoat black. Then finished it with a clear coat. It turned out great. It looks just like the tank.

I have done a lot of powder coating on my '79 Standard. I purchased the Eastwood Hot Coat powder coat system (http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...iProductID=250). A neighbor gave me an old kitchen oven that I bake in. A 2lb. ($25) can of gloss black powder will powder coat everything on a bike.

There is also a special filler for filling dents that is compatiable with the baking process of powder coating. I used in on several pieces that where dented or seriously scraped up.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

Original Paint

Hey Dennyz, Can you supply the name of that stuff you mentioned that is compatible with powder coating? My replacement gas tank(80 XS standard) has a tiny but ugly dent on the upper left side where the emerg flasher button dented it through the years(with lower sukperbike bars). I've had 3 tanks and they ALL have that dent so it must be pretty common. If I use your stuff, I can powder coat the tank instead of having to paint it to match the powdercoated fenders. thanks, Doyle
            Doyle

Comment

I used item# 10021 ZA from Eastwood

Eastwood catolog page
              DZ
              Vyger, 'F'
              "The Special", 'SF'
              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
              X