Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info

Greetings.

I purchased my XS11 from a private party in December of last year. He wasn't able to give me much information about the bike. My local Yamaha dealer has been even less helpful. I'm not sure which XS I have. It has the touring package. The headlight is square. This particular fact is causing me some problems. The lens on the headlamp is broken. The bulb still lights, but the lens itself is broken. I can't seem to find anyone anywhere that knows where I can find a replacement. As I said, even my local dealer couldn't help me.

Any ideas from anyone?

Deano
    If it won't go, force it. If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Have you looked in the picture section yet? Or checked out the VIN # against what is shown on this website? Post a picture of it on here and someone should be able to tell you what year it is.
    you can go to www.yamaha-motor.com and look at thier parts fiches with part numbers.
    if there are Knee Nothes in the tank it is a Standard model. made from 78-81
    if the tank is teardrop shaped it is the Special model. made from 79-81
    hope we can help!
    Bill Woods
    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Thanks. It's a '78 standard then. The label on the fork shows a '78 manufacture date. But it has the knee notches. I have gone to that site. I have a part number, but the dealer says he can't get it. I guess I'll have to find a salvage yard.

Thanks for the info.

Deano

Comment

78 Square Headlight

Deano62, I had a similar problem on my bike. I picked up a square auto headlight high/low beam unit. It is almost the same size as the XS's.
        On the back of your original unit are some mounting tabs. If I remember right I cut these off the original and JB welded them on to the new seal beam. With just a little brute force I was able to mount it into my original housing. That was over two years ago and everything still functions well. Your choice, just another option for you.
        Ken/Sooke
        78E Ratbyk
        82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

welcome Deano

Welcome to the group Deano!
          Lots of technical data on the xs11.com site and lots of helpful and Xtremely knowledgable guys here as well.......good luck with your 78.

Bruce Doucette
          78XS1100 Alpha
          79xs1100 Special. parked
          Bruce Doucette
          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Parts sources

Check out the links section on this site. There's lots of parts sources listed & some for used stuff. Also check on ebay under parts, motorcycle asian. Search XS1100 XS 1100 78 Yamaha ect. There's people breaking down whole bikes on there. I'm sure you can find a replacement.
            Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
            2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Comment

Welcome Deano

Is this what your looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35598
              Gary
              79sf
              78e

Comment

Thanks for the link Gary. I may go after that unit, in case I want to take the faring off. However, that is the headlight for the stripped version of the 1100. The lens I need is for the light in a vetter faring. I think I've come across someone locally that can help me acquire the parts I need.

Thanks.

Comment

You could ask Craig Vetter himself and see if he has any, or knows of any place you could find one. He doesn't list them as being available, but he might have a source.
                  Brian
                  1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                  1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                  remembering the same thing!

Comment

Welcome to the Darkness

Welcome to a new owner (read SLAVE) to a fine machine. You have a Pacifico Fairing, marked Vetter w/Yamaha on the electrical plate where the pigtail plugs in. I have emailed and recieved confirmation from Craige Vetter that this fairing was made after he sold the company to Pacifico. He knows nothing about it. This fairing was made exclusively for Yamaha even the turn signals on fairing are the same lenses as 78 XS1100E. The link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35598 is exactly what you need. You better get it while you can they are hard to find. The original Yamaha headlight was removed from the the original bucket shown then installed into the fairing. I would email the seller to see if the headlight is metal backed with the adjustment tabs on it. If it is an original light it should be marked Stanley "Motorcycle" on the lens side. Please see link to pics of mine to see if your fairing is the same.
                    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287125273. by the way Vetter shows on his site the Chrome side edging on his site and I just changed mine and his worked fine. Also if you have to change the windshield, make sure to measure carefully as most you find on ebay will not fit.
                    There's always a way, figure it out.
                    78XS11E

Comment

Deano, if the local guy doesn't come-through with the nececcary parts, let me know.
                      I have a Vetter fairing from a Standard that I am going to part-out.
                      The fiberglass is trash, but I kept it just to strip all of the lighting fixtures and harness.
                      Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

newmaac,

Is that light the rectangular one? or round? Email me at Gdog Gdog Gdog Gdo

I'm going to be in South San Francisco either in June or July, or both. Let's discuss it further in email, if you would like.

Deano

Comment

'78-'79 ??

Hey guys,
                          Don't wanna mess up a good thing, but depending on the BUILD DATE it could be a '78 OR '79 MODEL...this may not matter much...but it could be a problem somewhere...for the '78E the serial NO#'s start at 2H7-000101.
                          for the '79F they start at (believe this or not) 2H7-00 and THAT'S IT
                          Now get this!...for the '80G the No#'s START at 3H5-000101
                          So technically YAMAHA doesn't know a '78 from a'79...and if the numbers are between 2H7-000101 and 3H5-000101 you probably wont either.
                          One could surmise that the larger the number the later the model.
                          But who REALLY knows, for sure?
                          What does this have to do with your headlight problem?
                          ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
                          Just an interesting 'footnote'
                          Steve
                          MO-N-STEVE
                          '79 SF "MO's Missile"
                          '79 SF "That Old Black Magic"
                          '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
                          '80 SG "The BEAST"
                          '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
                          '81 SH "The NEW KID"
                          '76 CB 750 K5 "The Orphan"

Comment

Oh great! Another wrinkle.

Well, the label on the fork says 1978, but it's titled as 1979. vin 2H702....

So, following the logic above, maybe it was manufactured late '78 for distribution in '79.

Oh well, it runs.

I am astounded that I have gotten more information in a few days here than I have been able to get from my local Yamaha dealer. If they weren't the only game in town, I'd never go back to them.

Thanks all.

Comment

HI Deano62.
                              The 2H702xxxx should be the 79 Standard. I think I read somewhere the highest 78 Standard is 2H7-019797, something close to that. Mine is a 78 and the build date is 9/77.
                              Marty in NW PA
                              Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                              Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                              This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
                              X