Needle jet/ emulsion tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needle jet/ emulsion tube

This is the first time I've run into this. It seems I read something about it a long time ago but I can't find it now.

On the set of SF carbs I'm going through right now there are 2 different needle jets, both are X-2 but one set has 4-4-4-4 bleed holes and the other has 3-2-3-2 bleed holes. There are 2 of each.

All the others I've done were the 4-4-4-4. Is this right and where do they go back in. I didn't see when I took them out because they were covered in green stuff.
    Last edited by BA80; 06-17-2015, 02:32 PM.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Emulsion tubes

The ones I have been into also have the 4-4-4-4 tubes. I think Yamaha did this on the 1978E, 1979F, and 1979SF. Don't believe they went to the combination until 1980 and 1981. They then put the tubes with more holes (richer) in the two center carbs.
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I was thinking the richer running set would go to the 2&3 carbs for cooling purposes. However, since those are air bleed holes wouldn't the ones with FEWER holes be the richer running ones?
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I've seen this in several SF's. Less air holes is richer, the inside two (2&3). The ones with 4-4-4-4 were in the E & F. From what I've seen anyway.
        Last edited by red bandit; 06-17-2015, 02:53 PM.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Thanks y'all. That's what I was thinking but I wanted a second opinion.
          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Yes, less holes = richer and go in carbs 2 + 3. Air runs thru those holes, not fuel.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I have a set of carb's that I believe are from an sf that I have been going through. They also are all x-2 tubes but there is also a number under them. 2 of them are a 300 something number and the other 2 are a 200 something number (don't remember the exact number).
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                I have a set of carb's that I believe are from an sf that I have been going through. They also are all x-2 tubes but there is also a number under them. 2 of them are a 300 something number and the other 2 are a 200 something number (don't remember the exact number).
                From carburetors.com:
                Code:
                Series 266 Size X2 Type P
                Holes from bottom 4,4,4,4
                Application BS34 1979 XS1100SF Carb #2 & #3
                Yamaha Part# 3H3-14941-02 

Series 300 Size X2 Type P
                Holes from bottom 0,0,4,2
                Application BS34III 1980/81/82 XJ/XS 1100
                Yamaha Part# 3H5-14941-02

Series 301 Size X2 Type P
                Holes from bottom 4,4,0,2
                Application BS34 1978/79 XS1100E/F All and 1979 XS1100SF Carb #1 & #4
                Yamaha Part# 2H7-14941-02
                In case the list gets mangled here's the post:-
                Help Find A Cure for Crazcnuk's bike? View Single Post
                -- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Scott

I remember three years ago someone posted that chart and it was determined to be in error. Less holes go in the 2 &3 carbs.
                  mack
                  79 XS 1100 SF Special
                  HERMES
                  original owner
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                  SPICA
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                  IOTA
                  https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                  https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                  Frankford, Ont, Canada
                  613-398-6186

Comment

Hmmmmmm........... Is the chart wrong? It certainly seems to be.

I have the 266's and 301's.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Boo me!

Originally posted by mack View Post
                      I remember three years ago someone posted that chart and it was determined to be in error. Less holes go in the 2 &3 carbs.
                      Looking at it again this morning I think you're right and I'm wrong wrong too -- fewer holes go in #2 and #3 carburetors.

Are the part numbers and hole counts correct and they're just listed for the wrong carburetor location? We can't actually buy them any more so it's probably a moot point unless someone finds new ones in a back room somewhere.

I can't edit the stupid thing now, the original thread has been enshrined forever in archival concrete and carburetors.com has gone the way of the Dodo.

-- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Scott

I've been tearing out floors all day so I'm pretty bagged but if I remember correctly, the original chart from mikuni was correct but the transfer of data using a different program lead to the error. But the bottom line is that it was caught quickly at the time by one of the long standing members. maybe Ken talbot, I'm not sure. I'm too tired to head out to the shop to check. In fact I'm skipping supper and just heading to a bath and bed. The hole count is also wrong, it's 4-3-4-3 not 4-4-0-2 for the 301's
                        Last edited by mack; 06-18-2015, 03:38 PM.
                        mack
                        79 XS 1100 SF Special
                        HERMES
                        original owner

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                        SPICA

78 XS 11E
                        IOTA

Frankford, Ont, Canada
                        613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                          I've been tearing out floors all day so I'm pretty bagged but if I remember correctly, the original chart from mikuni was correct but the transfer of data using a different program lead to the error. But the bottom line is that it was caught quickly at the time by one of the long standing members. maybe Ken talbot, I'm not sure. I'm too tired to head out to the shop to check. In fact I'm skipping supper and just heading to a bath and bed. The hole count is also wrong, it's 4-3-4-3 not 4-4-0-2 for the 301's
                          Sorry mack but I'm sitting here looking at them and it's 3-2-3-2. Send you a pic if you like.

Doesn't really matter though, they need to go in the center. that's what I was looking for.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Greg

Told you I was tired. Back at it today. Knees aren't what they used to be. Man I'll be glad when this renovation is done.
                            mack
                            79 XS 1100 SF Special
                            HERMES
                            original owner

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                            SPICA

78 XS 11E
                            IOTA

Frankford, Ont, Canada
                            613-398-6186

Comment

Working...
                            X