Brake hose length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake hose length

I have done some research and I couldn't find the info I need so here I am typing in front of the keyboard: What's the best oil for my bike? Haha, just kidding.

I have a 1980 Standard, the brakes are fubar (cleaned spooge holes f+r several times, replaced front pistons and seals, replaced fluid) after a few days the brakes start to drag a bit (I can feel the heat in the rotors). I clean the spooge holes but it comes back. It's pissing me off.

Solution: Replace the brake lines circa the Reagan administration and install MC rebuild kit.

The Challenge: I don't know what length front hose to buy. When I bought the bike it had goofy high bars. The front brake hose (MC to splitter) is 19.5" stainless braided. I installed a set of superbike bars (2.5" rise & 5.75" pullback). I am ordering new stainless lines from "coastguard1975" on e-bay (good prices). The front hose for the Standard kit is 17" but he said I can custom order a smaller length for no additional fee (nice guy eh?). What length is good for superbike bars? I am guessing 14". Does anybody have any advise on this?

Also as a side note, the bars I bought are 28.5" wide, I believe OEM is 30" wide. What a PIA putting the MC onto this bar. Makes me want to buy a set of 34" flat track bars (same rise and pb as superbike bars, if I do this will the 17" hose work?).

Thanks

Thanks
    1980 G
    Jardine Spaghetti

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/Ug...ish/slideshow/

Uhhhh.....you haven't said whether front brakes work fine prior to your changes or not. Also, if you haven't removed, dis-assembled the caliper pistons, cleaned sliding surfaces and o-rings, your problem MAY very well continue no matter what you've done at master cyl. end of system.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      Uhhhh.....you haven't said whether front brakes work fine prior to your changes or not. Also, if you haven't removed, dis-assembled the caliper pistons, cleaned sliding surfaces and o-rings, your problem MAY very well continue no matter what you've done at master cyl. end of system.
      The problems are both F+R brakes. here is what have done:

Front - cleaned spooge hole several times, worked a bit better, replaced both pistons (old ones were pitted) and replaced seals and boots, cleaned sliding surfaces, changed the fluid. It worked better after this but the it still drags on occasion and the brake feel sucks. After this was done I changes the bar and re-bled the brakes.

Rear - cleaned spooge hole several times, pistons are not too bad.

Maybe I am spoiled by modern bikes but the brake feel on this bike is terrible, it reminds me of the San Fransisco Trolly Cars that use a piece of 2x4 wood as a friction surface for their brakes.
      1980 G
      Jardine Spaghetti

Comment

Originally posted by 1887 View Post
        What's the best oil for my bike? Haha, just kidding.
        Oil! Yes! Use oil! No kidding! Some oil is the very best!

If the brake pressure return and relief ports are clear and the master cylinders are clean, the only way the brakes can stick is if the brake caliper pistons are gummed up or the master cylinders were not assembled correctly.

.. The front brake hose (MC to splitter) is 19.5" stainless braided.
        That's part of your wooden trolly brake. The original master cylinders were made to work with rubber brake hoses, not Teflon hoses with stainless steel sheaths. Put new rubber brake hoses on or find a master cylinder with a smaller diameter piston.

-- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

The original master cylinders were made to work with rubber brake hoses, not Teflon hoses with stainless steel sheaths. Put new rubber brake hoses on or find a master cylinder with a smaller diameter piston.

I was under the impression that SS braided lines are "superior" to rubber lines. Where do I find rubber lines?, it was hard enough locating SS lines.
          1980 G
          Jardine Spaghetti

Comment

The original master cylinders were made to work with rubber brake hoses, not Teflon hoses with stainless steel sheaths. Put new rubber brake hoses on or find a master cylinder with a smaller diameter piston.

I was under the impression that SS braided lines are "superior" to rubber lines. Where do I find rubber lines?, it was hard enough locating SS lines.
            ...lol...they are, but you may wanna re-read 3Phases LAST sentence again.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              ...lol...they are, but you may wanna re-read 3Phases LAST sentence again.
              10-4 got it.

Can anybody chime in on the hose length I need?
              1980 G
              Jardine Spaghetti

Comment

10-4 got it.

Can anybody chime in on the hose length I need?
                You don't have the bars? I'd just wait and until I had the bars in my hands. Heck, you might not even like the bars once you see them on the bike and then you'd have a new SS hose you can't use with different bars.

When you get the bars, find some baling wire to fab up a set of mock brake hoses that run exactly where and how you want them. When you're happy with it, straighten it all out and use a tape measure, then order the hose you need.

If you're feeling really pressed for time, it won't be the same but you can use some more baling wire to fab up a set of bars with the same dimensions as the ones you're buying, tape 'em in place, then mock up the brake hoses.

-- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                X