What am I missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I missing?

So I've come to the end of what I am capable of doing in my tiny garage. My XS11 will be going to the shop this Thursday/Friday for the following.
    1. New tires
    2. Fork oil change
    3. bled and replace front brakes/pads
    4. Grease wheel bearings
    5. General safety check to make sure I didn't bugger anything up
    6. carb sync (maybe if they recommend it already did it but better safe then
      sorry)
    7. Fix me starter button so it stops shocking me

...And that where I need your help What else should I have them look at while I'm there and what can I do on my own (with limited capabilities no jack, no mechanical buddies to lend a hand)?

What I've already done:
    • Changed all three oils
    • Cleaned and sync'd carbs
    • ran new fuel lines
    • fixed the rear caliper and bled the rear brake
    • replaced the flasher unit
    • changed the air filter
    • replaced the battery
    • fixed the sticky throttle
    • fixed the starter button
    • cleaned electrical connections

I did take a short ride down to the end of the driveway in back felt pretty good with the exception of the clutch is a little weird but i think I can adjust that pretty easily with the nut an the lever
    79 F Bobber/Cafe Hybrid
    Rasputin on Carburators:
    "It is just a mechanical beast that defies logic."

lever adj. has to backed off and first adjustment is at throw-out bearing under round right side cover......you definitely need to read how that's done. Threads here explain all that........THEN comes the cable adjustment after prior is done.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey OMCC,

Well, sounds like you've done quite a bit on your own with your limited skills! But there are a few more things that you will want to do to make it even more reliable.

1) Install Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner
      2) Check/adjust valve clearances(not mentioned above)
      3) If 2 done and changes made, then resynch/tune the carbs
      4) Front FORK OIL FLUID change.
      5) Replace OEM Glass Fuse Block with Solid ATCO if not already done(again not mentioned)
      6) Instead of just adjusting clutch, go ahead and get some new Barnett Springs installed.
      7) Check, clean, regrease/repack Steering Head Bearings, or replace if found damaged.
      8)Remove Final Drive to inspect, clean and regrease the driveshaft to final drive splines. You should have already regreased the Wheel Hub Splines when replacing the tires.

Eventually put on Stainless Steel Braided brake lines.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ok so one says fix the starter button so it quits shocking am and one says I fixed the starter button. Not sure where to go from here. The guys on this site will go to all lengths to help you including making video's if needed.
        Once you get the bill from the shop, you will probably decide to either (A) get rid of the damn thing or (B) learn to do stuff yourself. These old bikes are glorious, but can not make it in today's shop prices. If you can not or will not try it yourself then you are throwing good money after bad. Sorry just my opinion.
        I spent over $800 bucks on my carbs that never did run right until I decided to let the people here guide me thru it. Now I can do it easily.
        Last edited by Rasputin; 06-15-2015, 07:46 PM. Reason: added info
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
          Ok so one says fix the starter button so it quits shocking am and one says I fixed the starter button.
          I't didn't work at all when I first got it. I took it apart, fixed a wire that had come loose cleaned and greased it. Now it works but every once in a while it'l zap me like a static shock when I press it.

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
          I spent over $800 bucks on my carbs that never did run right until I decided to let the people here guide me thru it. Now I can do it easily.
          I give this forum absolute credit for getting me this far and I will absolutely continue on as far as I can.
          79 F Bobber/Cafe Hybrid
          Rasputin on Carburators:

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            Hey OMCC,

Well, sounds like you've done quite a bit on your own with your limited skills! But there are a few more things that you will want to do to make it even more reliable.

1) Install Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner
            2) Check/adjust valve clearances(not mentioned above)
            3) If 2 done and changes made, then resynch/tune the carbs
            4) Front FORK OIL FLUID change.
            5) Replace OEM Glass Fuse Block with Solid ATCO if not already done(again not mentioned)
            6) Instead of just adjusting clutch, go ahead and get some new Barnett Springs installed.
            7) Check, clean, regrease/repack Steering Head Bearings, or replace if found damaged.
            8)Remove Final Drive to inspect, clean and regrease the driveshaft to final drive splines. You should have already regreased the Wheel Hub Splines when replacing the tires.

Eventually put on Stainless Steel Braided brake lines.

T.C.
            Great advice as always TC The bike cam with a solid ATCO fuse block so I can cross that off. Everything else goes straight on the to do list.
            79 F Bobber/Cafe Hybrid
            Rasputin on Carburators:

Comment

Great thread. I see a number of things to add to my list after I get my new 80 XS11 running. It is only running on two or three cylinders right now.

I need to change my front fork seals.

Bill
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by BowlingSS View Post
                Great thread. I see a number of things to add to my list after I get my new 80 XS11 running. It is only running on two or three cylinders right now.

I need to change my front fork seals.

Bill
                Hi Bill, finially saw you public message,as I don't normally look at those. Send me a PRIVATE message for exhaust info, Thanks.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                X