My SG in my Harlem "garage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SG in my Harlem "garage"

I think I'm finally going to post a few pics and some progress on my SG. I got it in pretty good condition, still getting up to safe and reliable mode. My big restriction, besides being a fairly ignorant mechanic, is that my garage is the open front "yard" of my Harlem brownstone building. Lots of advice from passers-by as I sit on a stool with all my tools spread around me.

If this photo works, it's the day last spring when I brought it home, before doing any work to it.

Steve R

'80 SG
    "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
    1978 XS400E Red
    1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

And last weekend on my first real ride up in the Catskills. I'll fill in a bit later on what has happened in between.

Steve R

'80 SG
    "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
    1978 XS400E Red

Comment

Looks very clean
      79SF
      xjr ohlins shocks, tarozzi forkbrace, bsa handlebars, bsm exhaust

Comment

I was very lucky for someone not really knowing what to look for. I rebuilt all three calipers with SS pistons and both master cylinders, then took it to my mechanic in Queens to have him look them over and install SS brake lines.

Compression is good. So far have changed all fluids except the fork, which will happen this weekend.

Still needs valve adjustment and sync. Have put a total of 350 miles so don't want to do much more before those valves.
        Steve R

'80 SG

Former bikes:

1978 XS400E Red

Comment

Fine example. Hey at least you get to interact with neighbors instead of suburbia where everyone is inside their air conditioned garage or 2 acres away.

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I've also been monkeying around with a spare set of carbs, tank and sidecovers that I got very cheap up in CT.

The tank and covers were painted with rattlecan Duplicolor Dark Toreador Red. Fun way to spend the cold winter in the basement. Still compounding the 2K clearcoat to get the majority of the orangepeel off. Not sure I would do it again but learned a lot.

Steve R

'80 SG

Former bikes:

1978 XS400E Red

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
              Fine example. Hey at least you get to interact with neighbors instead of suburbia where everyone is inside their air conditioned garage or 2 acres away.

John
              True, but I covet my brother's big garage in Georgia often. When the kids are through college, this place gets turned into permanent Air BNB and I get a house out in the country.
              Steve R

'80 SG

Former bikes:

1978 XS400E Red

Comment

The tank looks really awesome
                80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
                and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

thanks. not sure what I'm going to do with it. I haven't put the rebuilt petcocks back on yet or the fuel sender. I decided to be persnickity this time--for the LAST time--and rebuilt the petcocks with NOS parts only, including the fiber washers. just felt like wasting money I guess.

the duplicolor goes on great, not a run ever, although I was probably too light. and it's cheap. the urethane I was definitely too light/far/away/fast. It went on nice and thick but lots of orangepeel. And of course my prep was most likely amateurish. but like I said, read a lot and then learned a lot.

I may swap out the tank and covers and see if I like it. Supposedly it will pass from a distance for New Ruby Red...
                  Steve R

'80 SG

Former bikes:

1978 XS400E Red

Comment

That will pass

For the New Ruby Red up close if you don't have an example right next to it for comparison.

My 850 was done in that color and I loved it.

The '79 Special I have was done with rattle cans and lets just say it looks ok at 30 feet. Not a gloss shine but its black, can't see flaws in it if you back off far enough.

Once I get my shop out back rolling I'll have a spray booth on the outside under a roof to do paint and the trash job on the Special will get redone and hopefully look like yours, very pretty!
                    79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                    73 & 74 RD 350's
                    73 Honda CL 450
                    Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

I painted my parts about 3 times before I threw my hands up and paid a professional body man to do it. I just could not be happy with the upclose imperfections. Who cares what it looks like from 30ft,...my eyes are 3 feet from the tank every time I hop on. It does look great in your pics though.
                      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                        I painted my parts about 3 times before I threw my hands up and paid a professional body man to do it. I just could not be happy with the upclose imperfections. Who cares what it looks like from 30ft,...my eyes are 3 feet from the tank every time I hop on. It does look great in your pics though.
                        The paint itself went on like butter. Not a single run, really set up well. The Duplicolor has a pretty sophisticated nozzle (I guess). It was the 2K urethane where I got all the orangepeel, and I think it was just a combination of me being a bit nervous since there was no going back, and the spray mask, etc.

Not sure I would do it again for the same reason you state. The black tank on the bike now has a nice ugly ping on top from a stupid move of mine last summer. I think I'll swap out the tank and sidecovers later on and have that one professionally done.

I'd love to borrow someone's spare SG black/red sidecover to take the paint shop for them to copy. Mine is a kinda nice black/blue flake which is growing on me actually.
                        Steve R

'80 SG

Former bikes:

1978 XS400E Red

Comment

Working...
                        X