never had this happen before..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• never had this happen before..

81 Sp., total rebuild frame up. Went to take a ride the other day and the starter made a funny noise and the bike didn't start. No eng. turn over either. I managed to put it into 3rd gear, rocked it a few times and it started fine. It has always started before. Are the starters lame at times or what?
    At this time:
    1985 Goldwing Innr.
    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
    2007 vtx 1300
    81 sx 1100 s h
    81 sx 400 special

What kind of funny noise?
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

The "non-greased goose" noise?
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

noise

haaaa...yeah goose noise!....well...it wasn't the usual clicking sound.....or the dead batt. sound..just metalic sounding....not a grinding either?.....I'm thinking stuck gears...may need a good greeezen!
        Last edited by brcree; 06-07-2015, 10:47 PM.
        At this time:
        1985 Goldwing Innr.
        1976 cb 750 cafe racer
        2007 vtx 1300
        81 sx 1100 s h
        81 sx 400 special

Comment

Starter clutches not catching. They are 3 metal nibs that grab a shaft in one direction only.

Changing them requires splitting the cases as its buried in the exact middle of the engine.

We had to do that to the Navy bike when I bought it. You aren't using synthetic oil are you? Or oil with friction modifiers? (The bottom half of the API circle should be blank) Those can lead to clutch slipping as well as starter clutch.

Very exciting.

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

strater..

good info ..thanks....darn...just split the cases to fix #2 gear slipping. Not ready to do that again! No...not using synth oil.
            At this time:
            1985 Goldwing Innr.
            1976 cb 750 cafe racer
            2007 vtx 1300
            81 sx 1100 s h
            81 sx 400 special

Comment

I do not think you have to split cases to fix second gear. You can drop the gears out of the pan to repair. But at least you got a full inspection.

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

With the 20/50 oil, sometimes mine does that in colder weather, but in warm.. can't remember it ever doing it. There's an easy fix to get rid of the dying goose sound, but no quick fix for starter clutches. That being said.. You've probably got years of riding before you have to really start worrying about that. It may get slowly worse over the years, or may never get worse, or may have just been a not-so-fully-charged battery that day for some reason.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I would try and pull the starter to re-grease and clean it. It's getting late, so I'm NOT going to look for the thread, but there is one about this. Should take about two hours tops, and you have a new starter, minus the new brushes. Nice part, no money needed for parts.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                    I would try and pull the starter to re-grease and clean it. It's getting late, so I'm NOT going to look for the thread, but there is one about this ...
                    Here is James' write-up on the starter motor strip, clean, and re-grease:

Starter motor strip
                    Marco

Current bikes:
                    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                    1979 Honda CBX
                    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Or.. if you don't want to mess with all of that, just stop the noise for now, put a tiny dab of grease here.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...2&postcount=13
                      Last edited by trbig; 06-10-2015, 05:58 AM.
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own