Noise on shut down only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trbig View Post
    ??? The end sounded like gears to me.. like when you shift from neutral to first some times and it grinds just a little bit before engaging.

Makes me wonder if it has the 1st gear problem and it's so stripped that when shutting down, the clutch discs slow enough to where they finally grab at the end and the gear can't hold any pressure?

Just guesses here. To debunk my theory, put it in gear.. like 2nd or 3rd, then hold in the clutch when you kill it and see if it still does it?
    I will try putting it in gear and turn it off to see if it still makes the noise.

Thanks everyone. This is the best forum ever....
    Bill
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      I believe it is the same chain that made the front wheel drive Toronado possible for 1966. The no-stretch chain was developed by Borg-Warner, IIRC. That chain handled 2 tons of car and over 300 hp.
      I do not think that chain should ever break.

Bill
      1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Ok, I listen/ watched your movie just now... That final sound you hear on shutdown is just the starter clutch gears settling down... Yeah, you're good man, that's normal.

Comment

I don't share GNEPIG's confidence.

No, I don't believe that chain will ever actually break, but that's not a sound I've ever heard on killing one of these and certainly not "Normal". There are no "Gears" on the starter clutch, just the one the starter drives and some pinch rollers and not sure how it could ever make that sound unless it was grinding against the starter gear.. in which case it wouldn't be engaged enough to be able to start it.

I think all of this is going to speculative from people hearing a video noise, not exactly sure where it's coming from or what's making it until you get some eyes on it. If that is the chain scraping against the case, then it is more stretched than I've ever seen one and it wouldn't be good to have that much slop on the gears or the whole drive train in general between accel/decel. I don't know that it would ever grind through the case, especially since both are in an oil bath and it's not grinding under pressure.. more dragging across it. Some people are of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it crowd" and some are from the "That weird noise is driving me insane!" group. Just depends on what group you're in.. lol.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I tried shutting it down in gear with the clutch in. The noise was not there. It is gone... NOT... So in gear with the clutch in the noise is not there. What does everyone think it is?

Bill
            1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

*Shrugs.. Kill it in gear and ride it and see if it gets worse. If there's a lot of slop in the drivetrain between accel/decel, you might want to get it fixed at some point if you plan on a long-term commitment to the bike.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

Primary chains for these bikes are cheap and plentiful on eBay. While I was assembling the cases on my XJ back in 2009, I noticed the primary chain had a broken link that chewed up the guide. I bought one on e-bay at the time for $24 shipped with the guide.

This was my basket case that suffered a catastrophic crankshaft failure (split in middle) when my father-in-law owned it and was pretty definitively the cause of the primary chain damage.

I'm not implying that's your problem and I vote that it's pretty unlikely, just pointing out the part itself is easy to come by relatively cheap.
                82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                Website/Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Prothec View Post
                  Primary chains for these bikes are cheap and plentiful on eBay.
                  Yes, they can be had used pretty cheap, but you never know what you're getting with it. Even a bike with low miles, if they ran it low on oil, it could have stretched significantly.

Also, replacement of the hyvo chain does require engine removal and case splitting. Those of us that have done it several times know it's no big deal, but the first time, I was terrified.

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

I figured the argument would be that if you're going to the trouble of splitting the cases, why would you want to risk a used part? For me, at the time it was my only option aside from a shop that could get me one shipped from Japan for a ridiculous amount of money and unknown shipping time. At $175, I'd still probably buy used for $24 and evaluate it when installing.
                    82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                    Website/Blog

Comment

Some years back my starter button crumbled away. Since my ignition key would slide up out of the switch in any position I just used it to start the bike.

Funny noise most evident on shut down appeared. To my horror and shame it turned out that the starter was staying engaged while the engine was running due to the spring in the button hole keeping contact or something. Fixed the button , fixed the problem. My first thoughts were something internal had failed.
                      79SF
                      XJ11
                      78E

Comment

Originally posted by Prothec View Post
                        I figured the argument would be that if you're going to the trouble of splitting the cases, why would you want to risk a used part? For me, at the time it was my only option aside from a shop that could get me one shipped from Japan for a ridiculous amount of money and unknown shipping time. At $175, I'd still probably buy used for $24 and evaluate it when installing.
                        I did not take the engine out. I just did a top end job.

Thanks.
                        Bill
                        1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

running on all four cylinders.

Sound really lopey. Synch it first, you can get that sound when the bike is first started and then shut off before it is warmed up.
                          79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
                          85 Honda v65 Magna
                          70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
                          02 Road King (retirement gift)
                          First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Installed the auto cam adjuster and the noise went away. I also synch the carbs. Now to tap off one petcock line and re-run the fuel lines with the new expensive ($12.50) filters. I bought them from a local shop.

Thanks guys.
                            Bill
                            1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Working...
                            X