Noise on shut down only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise on shut down only

I traded for my 80 XS11 SG. The bike was hardly running and leaking gas everywhere. It died on a long trip and the owner U-Hauled it to my house.

I just rebuilt the top end, cleaned the carbs and just started her up the other day. I noticed this before I bought the bike that when you turn it off it has a noise coming from the engine like a chain rattling. It is not coming from the top end. The engine is very quiet when it is running. I have not taken it for a test drive yet. I still have to set the carbs and replace the fuel lines and check it out.

Is it possible to post a video of the noise?

Thanks.
    Bill
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Post it on Youtube and post the link here.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Hey, Bill, how many miles are on the engine? That could be the primary chain slapping the case, a little noisy but more or less normal depending on how much noise it's making.

You can post video and pictures by uploading to another site, then posting the link(s) in the body of your message.

Last edited by 3Phase; 06-02-2015, 01:35 PM. Reason: The Jet Mechanic beat me again! :D
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I would sinc the carbs first as this could cause an imbalanced sound.
        Other wise preform a chain tension adjustment and see if that helps.

Still hard to diagnose words...

Comment

http://www.bjittech.com/IMG_0776.mov

Hope this works..

Bill
          1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

I might need a better movie. The bike has 54K. Just did a topend job. Chain was adjusted.

Bill
            1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by BowlingSS View Post
              I might need a better movie. The bike has 54K. Just did a topend job. Chain was adjusted.

Bill
              Bill, the movie is fine, the engine sounds great!

That sounds like the Primary chain and it's not adjustable but GNEPIG is right: you need to check the valve shim clearance, then synchronize the carburetors and set the idle speed.

Other than that it sounds most excellent!

-- Scott
              _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Bill
                FWIW......if you still tryin' to use the stock cam chain adjuster......trash it for an auto one. If the stock one is still in use, the shaft slipped back under decel, and it will never hold anyways, thats a given.
                So, what say you as to the type of adjuster is in front of motor?
                The previous all good advice!......but may be a bit 'overthunked' at this point.
                Last edited by motoman; 06-02-2015, 03:52 PM.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  FWIW......if you still tryin' to use the stock cam chain adjuster......trash it for an auto one. If the stock one is still in use, the shaft slipped back under decel, and it will never hold anyways, thats a given.
                  So, what say you as to the type of adjuster is in front of motor?
                  The previous all good advice!......but may be a bit 'overthunked' at this point.
                  I have a auto adjuster ordered. Still has the stock one. All the valves are set. I had to change almost all of them. They were all tight. I did bench synch the carbs after cleaning. They looked very close. I think the previous owner had a shop do them. I have a mercury stick waiting for the synch.

I was also thinking the primary chain. Can that chain ever brake or mess up the cases?
                  The engine did have the trans mod but am not sure how long ago. The other owner was not very mechanical.

Thanks everyone.
                  Bill
                  1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                    Bill, the movie is fine, the engine sounds great!

That sounds like the Primary chain and it's not adjustable but GNEPIG is right: you need to check the valve shim clearance, then synchronize the carburetors and set the idle speed.

Other than that it sounds most excellent!

I should of let the engine get hot before I started the movie. I did have to increase the idle so the carbs I am sure are off some.

Bill
                    1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

I should of let the engine get hot before I started the movie. I did have to increase the idle so the carbs I am sure are off some.

Bill
                      Loose cam chain has the same effect, cams slightly out of time causes idle to drop and a bit 'lopey' idleing......BTDT, 33yrs. ago......but you HAVE ordered the RIGHT stuff. Change that adjuster, and do an ACTUAL carb-sync, idle mixture setting, and you'll be golden.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

??? The end sounded like gears to me.. like when you shift from neutral to first some times and it grinds just a little bit before engaging.

Makes me wonder if it has the 1st gear problem and it's so stripped that when shutting down, the clutch discs slow enough to where they finally grab at the end and the gear can't hold any pressure?

Just guesses here. To debunk my theory, put it in gear.. like 2nd or 3rd, then hold in the clutch when you kill it and see if it still does it?
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

As far as the main hyvo chain, Yamaha says it's a "No wear" item but I've been into some motors where it's very loose and stretched. If what you're hearing sounds like a chain to you, then yes, it may be stretched. These motors turn backwards, so it will pull tension from the bottom side of that chain while running. When you kill it, slack will go back to the bottom side and possibly drag along the case until everything stops spinning, but I've never seen/heard of this happening? You can buy new ones, but they aren't cheap. Seems like last one I looked at was in the $130 range?

*Edit. Just went to partsnmore.com and they're $175 there.
                          Last edited by trbig; 06-02-2015, 06:49 PM.
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Bill
                            Like GNEPIG said, synch the carbs.

The Primary chain can slap a hole in the case but it's pretty rare. It can break too but that's even more rare than a broken case. The chain is pretty tough:-

Primary Shaft, Primary Chain and Clutch Damper Assy

Anyway, it sounds worse than it is because when the engine isn't pulling smoothly it plays jump rope with the Primary chain and damper while bouncing every bit of lash in all the gears and bearings on the shaft, the Oil Pump, the Clutch Basket and the Transmission.

Tod's got a good idea too. Put it in gear and hold the clutch while you kill it. That'll get rid of most of the Transmission gear and bearing noise.

-- Scott
                            _____

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                              As far as the main hyvo chain, Yamaha says it's a "No wear" item
                              I believe it is the same chain that made the front wheel drive Toronado possible for 1966. The no-stretch chain was developed by Borg-Warner, IIRC. That chain handled 2 tons of car and over 300 hp.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X