Painting Exhaust Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Exhaust Pipes

I think the XS11 I have been working on have the Jardine 4 into 2 spaghetti pipes. Is it possible to paint these black? They look really bad. I was not sure paint would stick to the pipes.

Thanks guys.
    Bill
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Ceramic coating would be the way to go.
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Originally posted by tcoop View Post
      Ceramic coating would be the way to go.
      I am sure that would be costly. Do you know someone that would do the coating? They also have some large dents in them.

Bill
      1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

I meant to say POWDER coating (I think it is/or can be ceramic). You should be able to find a local shop to do it for you.

If you wanted to get them painted for cheep you could get some black grill paint from Home Depot. It will need to be re-applied every so often.
        Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
        80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
        82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

The auto parts houses have header paint. Use that. You can ceramic coat them when your budget allows. You'll want the dents out.

Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I'll quickly comment on the grill paint, and header paint: they don't work unless you COMPLETELY strip the chrome off. I repeat, COMPLETELY. Done two bikes trying both types of paint. The grill paint does not hold-up, and the header paint gets a gray color. The Rev used a spray-on ceramic coating with great results. I believe the company is JET Coatings. See his "Standard for a $1.00" thread for more info.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Another cheap alternative would be to wrap the headers. Doesn't do much for your mufflers though. Just an idea.
              Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                Another cheap alternative would be to wrap the headers. Doesn't do much for your mufflers though. Just an idea.
                The bad thing with header wrap is it retains moisture and will quickly rot them out. If they're already rusty, this will accelerate the rusting. Plus your bike will smell like a wet dirty dog when the wrap gets wet....

You can get paint to stick to chrome, but you'll need to scuff the surface really well. If you do this, you'll never get them shiny again. Paint will be a continuing maintenance item as pretty any of them will discolor/stain over time.

As to the dents, getting those out will be a chore. You'll either have to cut out/replace the damaged sections, or fab a mandrel to pull through the pipes to remove the dents. Neither method is easy...

Coatings, while not cheap, will be the most durable option. But even these will stain if 'stuff' is allow to bake on.

Now, I've been experimenting on my XJ exhaust recently. The system is basically sound, but with scratches/scuffs/dings and heavy rust in those hard-to-get-to places that don't always get cleaned well. What I'm trying is buffing the bits on my buffer, with a loose cotton buff and white compound where the plating is still mostly intact, and a sewn buff and rouge compound where it's really rusty. While this won't remove dents/dings, it has 'restored' the chrome much better than I had hoped for. This works really well for getting rust off, and even diminishes minor scuffs, discoloration, and scratches. You have to be a bit careful with the rouge compound as it's aggressive enough that it will buff through the chrome to the nickel. It's a slow, dirty and messy process and I haven't had time lately to finish up because of family issues, but I think I can get the system to an acceptable appearance once I'm done. I'll post up a 'how-to' when I'm done if it works out...
                Last edited by crazy steve; 06-01-2015, 02:28 PM.
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Sounds good Steve. Would this be possible with the exhaust system on the bike?
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                    The Rev used a spray-on ceramic coating with great results. I believe the company is JET Coatings.
                    I believe The Rev used a Cerakote ceramic coating on his exhaust.

The other company is Jet-Hot High Performance Coatings.

Here is a before/after example of just one of the many options Jet-Hot has available:

And here is a pic of Dale's (foreda) former G (recently sold) with ceramic-coated headers. I think these headers look fantastic!

Marco

Current bikes:
                    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                    1979 Honda CBX
                    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Sounds good Steve. Would this be possible with the exhaust system on the bike?
                      Not really.... You wouldn't be able to get into the worst areas, and you'd make a complete mess of the bike after all the compound and strings off the buffs go everywhere. No way I'd try to do this on the bike...

One advantage of the XJ system is the mufflers are separate, so it's not quite as clumsy as a XS system; the biggest piece is the mufflers. You could do a XS system (and I have one I'll do if this works out) but it'll be a wrestling contest.
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Been meaning to post a pic of my pipes, painted the header with header paint and while there are a couple small spots it looks a lot better then they did., use some existing parts, some stock muffler parts that I wrapped. Made the back brackets and got a sweet deal on the Harley pipes.. Pink drive way compliment of a flowering crab tree.. Also used high temp hose for the cross over and has held up great so far.

[IMG][/IMG]
                        81 H

Comment

Originally posted by haywardguy929 View Post
                          Been meaning to post a pic of my pipes, painted the header with header paint and while there are a couple small spots it looks a lot better then they did., use some existing parts, some stock muffler parts that I wrapped. Made the back brackets and got a sweet deal on the Harley pipes.. Pink drive way compliment of a flowering crab tree.. Also used high temp hose for the cross over and has held up great so far.

[IMG][/IMG]
                          They do look great. How long have they been painted? Did you sand the chrome before painting?

Bill
                          1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
                            I believe The Rev used a Cerakote ceramic coating on his exhaust.

The other company is Jet-Hot High Performance Coatings.

Here is a before/after example of just one of the many options Jet-Hot has available:

And here is a pic of Dale's (foreda) former G (recently sold) with ceramic-coated headers. I think these headers look fantastic!

What color did he use? Was it the Chromex (High Solids)?

Bill
                            1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Cerakote ceramic coating is not cheap. For 16 oz is about $87 with shipping.
                              I am sure the 4oz would not be enough.

Bill
                              1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Working...
                              X