Fuel Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Line

What size fuel line do I need for a 80SG? Where does everyone get the fuel line?

Thanks.
    Bill
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Your best bet is tygon, the yellow stuff. I believe the inside diameter is 1/4". The black rubber fuel line gets brittle and has a tendency to kink. Tygon is ethanol safe, the right size, and transparent for easy inspection. You can get a 10' section on eBay for about $15 USD. Advanced auto also sells the good line, but only in short cuts. They advertise it for use with lawnmowers but it's the right id and is ethanol safe.

Ed
    81 xs1100 SH
    81 xs1100 SH (parts)
    80 suzuki gs550et
    07 suzuki S40

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tygon-Fuel-L...item3a9f77ec79
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I switched to tygon lines and never looked back.

It is so much easier to work with and doesn't harden when cold like regular rubber lines making it much easier to work during winter. It seals up and holds well and I haven't felt the need for any additional clamps, which is convenient for roadside repairs.

I've considered putting my octy back on to see if the lines make hose routing easier.
        Last edited by Prothec; 05-31-2015, 07:25 AM.
        82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
        Website/Blog

Comment

Motion Pro Premium fuel line is what I'm using. It stays pliable. It's a bit pricey. It comes black, grey, or clear.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/12-0053/
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

+1 on the Motion Pro line. I had problems with Tygon, and have not gone back to it. ALL auto fuel line is WRONG for the bikes! The wall is too thick, and it will not bend or fit in the places it needs to. The Motion pro works for me, and it will last as well as any other line, about five years.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              ... I had problems with Tygon, and have not gone back to it. ...
              What kind of problems have you had with Tygon? What should those of us who use it look out for? As I understand it, Tygon is still a vinyl material, just that it lasts many times longer than standard vinyl tubing.

At $6/ft + $6.50 shipping for fuel line seems pretty steep compared to $1.70/ft for Tygon with free shipping. Is the product really ultra premium to match the ultra premium price? I'm just curious what the benefits are.

Do you use clamps, or does the MP fuel line stay in place well?
              82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
              Website/Blog

Comment

It stays in place, but I use clamps. Yes, it's worth every penny!
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

I bought about 10 ft Tygon several years ago and still have a ton. It lasts and clear makes it easy to see flow.

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

The downside is that it gets a bit brittle over time and cracks. The pluses are that you can see the cracks, it doesn't shed bits into the carbs, and it is easy to work. Just plan on changing it every few years and you are golden.
                    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                      I had problems with Tygon, and have not gone back to it.
                      I too would like to know what problems you had with tygon. I have never had an issue and I have had the same tygon lines on for over 3 years without issue.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

See LoHo's comment. I had it harden up and crack after about 18 months. I used it on the '79, but went to something else because of the problems. I now use the MotionPro line on everything with the XS...
                        It may be the crap they call gas here, or the weather, or who knows what...
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks for the info. That will last me a life time...

Bill
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Working...
                          X