Cam Dots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Dots

Is it possible to be off half a tooth? I had problems with the chain not wanting to catch on the crank. I finally got it and it looks like I am off half a tooth. I already set this up a week or so ago and did not have any problems. Now after removing the cams to replace almost all the shims I am now having problems. I know this has to be dead on. I am going right by the book. I guess I will go out and try it again. Sorry I am just venting.

Bill
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Bill,

Is it possible that your cam chain is stretched to the limit. I went through my valves a couple years ago with intent to add an ACCT. I discovered my OEM tensioner extended most of the way out. I replaced the chain at that time. The new chain was banjo tight and the dots aligned perfectly. JAT
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Also, if you have the gears 180º out it will throw the cam timing off a couple 3 degrees. There is a kind of an arrowhead on the opposite side of the gears from the dots. Those arrows go to the bolt hole in the cams closest to the dots.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I did get it together. It started up and sounds OK and the engine is quiet except for the mufflers with out anything in them that are very loud. I need to check the timing and sync the carbs. Still a lot of work to do.

Thanks everyone.

Bill
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by BowlingSS View Post
          I did get it together. It started up and sounds OK and the engine is quiet except for the mufflers with out anything in them that are very loud. I need to check the timing and sync the carbs. Still a lot of work to do.

Thanks everyone.

Bill
          Timing is 'fixed'(factory pre-set).
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
          X