Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your thoughts on handle bars (pics included)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts on handle bars (pics included)?

Wow I'm REALLY bored at work!! Need my pick 6 to hit so I can spend more time with my scoot and less time doing this pesky work thingy

Anyway, my scoot is having an identity crisis. When I first got the bike I was going to go for cafe/mad max inspired look. Because of the lines of the bike I'm thinking that maybe taller bars are a better fit??? See the pics and let me know your thoughts. The low bars are what's on it now. The taller bars are just mocked up.

Rob - 79 SF

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    Wow I'm REALLY bored at work!! Need my pick 6 to hit so I can spend more time with my scoot and less time doing this pesky work thingy

Anyway, my scoot is having an identity crisis. When I first got the bike I was going to go for cafe/mad max inspired look. Because of the lines of the bike I'm thinking that maybe taller bars are a better fit??? See the pics and let me know your thoughts. The low bars are what's on it now. The taller bars are just mocked up.

IMO, a rise between the two shown. BTW, still think that bike was NICELY modified from stock! Kudos!.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      IMO, a rise between the two shown. BTW, still think that bike was NICELY modified from stock! Kudos!.
      Oh nooooo,...not another option lol!

I've blown through so much money on alterations that it pains me. BUT it's my 1st bike and ONE DAY it will be perfect. Live and learn.

Thanks!!!
      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Oh nooooo,...not another option lol!

I've blown through so much money on alterations that it pains me. BUT it's my 1st bike and ONE DAY it will be perfect. Live and learn.

Thanks!!!
        Sorry, didn't realize the 'mock-up' was an actual 'purchase'.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Play around with what you have now, and see WHAT FITS YOU! You can change the angle of the bars to see how they feel, and if you can ride for a while with them. A bike is an extension of you, and should fit your style and body. (yeah, I'm testing 100W amps myself....)
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I'd ditch both sets of bars snd go with Super-bike, Daytona, or Euro bars. Euro bars are more ergonomic, but have a higher rise. Daytona have a lower rise, and less reach. I have Super bike bars on my bike now. Tried many bars throughout the years . . .
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

At the end of the day, only one is going to be right, and that's the one that fits you.

As far as the look of your custom; low looks way better.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

bars

I put XJ/Venture bars on mine. You need the aluminum risers, the bolt on extensions, and the original mounting splines. These splines can be bolted onto the original bar clamps, not using the tops. These bars can be set in many positions, but they sure look weird until you get used to seeing them a while. I have an "F" and I hated the lean forward riding position. These XJ bars put me in the upright position that I love, with my floorboards, like the old Harley flatheads I used to ride. Oh, the standard cables will be a bit short. Use the ones from a special, they fit just right, and also the "SF" M/C.
                put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                79 F (Blueballs)
                79 SF (Redbutt)
                81 LH (organ donor)
                79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                rover has spoken

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                  I'd ditch both sets of bars snd go with Super-bike, Daytona, or Euro bars. Euro bars are more ergonomic, but have a higher rise. Daytona have a lower rise, and less reach. I have Super bike bars on my bike now. Tried many bars throughout the years . . .
                  That's what I have on it now. I know it may be tough to see the shape. I think they're a 3.5" rise. They've been comfy for me but something just doesn't look right. I think if I had the standard tank these lower bars would look better...imo (I think...lol).
                  Rob - 79 SF

Comment

That's what I have on it now. I know it may be tough to see the shape. I think they're a 3.5" rise. They've been comfy for me but something just doesn't look right. I think if I had the standard tank these lower bars would look better...imo (I think...lol).

Nope. Leave it. It looks great! Those window bars or whatever you call them look silly. You say what's on there is comfy. Why fool with it?
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

I like the first ones....though it seems there is something your just not liking about the look of your bike.... I say ride the crap out of it don't think about changing anything for a month or two and maybe your answer will suddenly come to you! The bike looks great....
                      1979 F worst one i could find
                      to convert into a bobber/ streetfighter!

We can't all get along!

Comment

Got nothin for ya except to say that is one sweet machine. Nice work!
                        1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

That tracker fender and seat pad looks really nice! I always wondered how a narrow tracker seat would look with a larger capacity tank.

Comment

Mr.hammer

I sure do like the look, you nailed the stock to custom in-between. I've been toying with the LTD and Hawk bars, I have them just have not put them on.
                            Seems the wife, myself, the dog and the cat have all needed medical attention at a considerable cost.
                            Just how can you deal with that seat ? ? ?
                            OR, what did you use to make it comfy ? ? ?
                            Nice work ! Done
                            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                            80 XS650 G Special II
                            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                            80 XS 1100 SG
                            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
                              I sure do like the look, you nailed the stock to custom in-between. I've been toying with the LTD and Hawk bars, I have them just have not put them on.
                              Seems the wife, myself, the dog and the cat have all needed medical attention at a considerable cost.
                              Just how can you deal with that seat ? ? ?
                              OR, what did you use to make it comfy ? ? ?
                              Nice work ! Done
                              The seat is ROUGH on longer rides..lol. I'm actually bringing it to an upholsterer today who is going to add an 1" of high density foam. Hopefully the "coolness" factor stays in tact.
                              Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X