Jardine, is the baffle removable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jardine, is the baffle removable?

I know a few of you will cringe over this but I am one of those guys that think a bike should be louder than a ceiling fan. Having said that, I am not a fan of stupid loud pipes (nor am I fan of blipping the throttle at a stop light, every HD rider is guilty of that). I just want to get a medium sound level and maintain a good sound quality.

My bike (1980 xs1100G standard) has a set of Jardine 4 into 2 spaghetti pipes, they sound great but they are too quiet. Can the baffles be removed or replaced with something less restrictive. Anybody ever tear into these before?

I do realize that I will have to experiment by going to a larger main jet and possibly a pilot as well, I am ok with that. Thanks
    1980 G
    Jardine Spaghetti

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/Ug...ish/slideshow/

Originally posted by 1887 View Post
    I know a few of you will cringe over this but I am one of those guys that think a bike should be louder than a ceiling fan. Having said that, I am not a fan of stupid loud pipes (nor am I fan of blipping the throttle at a stop light, every HD rider is guilty of that). I just want to get a medium sound level and maintain a good sound quality.

My bike (1980 xs1100G standard) has a set of Jardine 4 into 2 spaghetti pipes, they sound great but they are too quiet. Can the baffles be removed or replaced with something less restrictive. Anybody ever tear into these before?

I do realize that I will have to experiment by going to a larger main jet and possibly a pilot as well, I am ok with that. Thanks
    Wow!.....if those are Jardine exhaust that go with the 'sketti' headers........THAT thought is a huge mistake. Not only trashing the most sought after after-market exhaust set-up, but why in the heck someone would wanna REDUCE power output just to be noticed is beyond me, AND majority here.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Not to worry, plenty of us here who like it louder as well, like me.

If you remove the baffles you will lose mid range power. I tried it and felt a dramatic decrease. Plus it did not sound good.

I installed a set of high flow tips that are baffled and it's the perfect compromise,..for me.
      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

"I installed a set of high flow tips that are baffled and it's the perfect compromise,..for me". Are you referring to stock exhaust?

Yes, I do realize that messing with these spaghetti pipes is a bad thing (because they are sought after, and look tres cool), is there any way I can get more sound without permanently bastardizing them?
        1980 G
        Jardine Spaghetti

Comment

"I installed a set of high flow tips that are baffled and it's the perfect compromise,..for me". Are you referring to stock exhaust?

Yes, I do realize that messing with these spaghetti pipes is a bad thing (because they are sought after, and look tres cool), is there any way I can get more sound without permanently bastardizing them?
          Two words........NOT HAPPENIN'!.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Two words........NOT HAPPENIN'!.
            ok - that's pretty much all I needed to know. Thanks
            1980 G
            Jardine Spaghetti

Comment

I removed and sold the stock exhaust. Purchase the MAC 4 into 2 and was still not happy with the sound. So I removed the MAC mufflers and installed slip on baffled tips (keeping the MAC headers).

If you want to get louder your're going to have to spend some money and customize as there are VERY few bolt on exhaust options for these bikes. You can sell the Jardine for about $400 (in good condition) and do what I did or have something made.
              Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Before I dis-credit you too much, didn't see you reply or not as to whether those muffs were Jardine or not. You DO realize that Jardine header pipes used their matching slip-ons as their original tuned together set-up?
                In other words, ANY slip-on could be used on the Jardines. If their not Jardine muffs......hack away my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                  I removed and sold the stock exhaust. Purchase the MAC 4 into 2 and was still not happy with the sound. So I removed the MAC mufflers and installed slip on baffled tips (keeping the MAC headers).

If you want to get louder your're going to have to spend some money and customize as there are VERY few bolt on exhaust options for these bikes. You can sell the Jardine for about $400 (in good condition) and do what I did or have something made.
                  I don't think I want to sell them, they do look cool. I'll just keep an eye on evil bay and see if any nice NOS systems come up. Thanks
                  1980 G
                  Jardine Spaghetti

Comment

Before I dis-credit you too much, didn't see you reply or not as to whether those muffs were Jardine or not. You DO realize that Jardine header pipes used their matching slip-ons as their original tuned together set-up?
                    In other words, ANY slip-on could be used on the Jardines. If their not Jardine muffs......hack away my friend.
                    Didn't think of that. Right,..if the mufflers are slip on, then just buy some aftermarket mufflers/tips and slip those on. Then you can put the Jardine mufflers (if that's what you have) on a shelf and preserve the set up.
                    Rob - 79 SF

Comment

I do not know if they are Jardine slip-ons or something else. I will check. Thanks
                      1980 G
                      Jardine Spaghetti

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                        Didn't think of that. Right,..if the mufflers are slip on, then just buy some aftermarket mufflers/tips and slip those on. Then you can put the Jardine mufflers (if that's what you have) on a shelf and preserve the set up.
                        You got it!......BTW, I have a brand new set of Jardine slip-ons WITH the cross-over, in original Jardine box, un-opened packaging with all necessary clamps, hardware. 1980 and earlier Standard straight back OEM style for you or any interested.

Comment

You want a nice rumble? Find a good used set of Mac headers, or buy new ones. With new, you'll be paying for the mufflers that you don't want. Put some Supertrapp car mufflers on the Mac head pipes. They look great and will give you the deep rumble you seek. They'll perform well as a bonus.

BTW, I have what I believe is a Jardine 4 into 1. The baffle comes out with a single rivet removal. Once out, I don't know what you can do with it, other than ruin it. With it out, the pipe is LOUD!
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

The compromise is loss of power with "noise" (less back pressure). Many others on here have tried going for sound over original exhaust engineering, and have in-majority failed in tuning. Fellow forum member "Down$hift" went for loud, and his bike ran like a Honda Rebel 250. If you want the Harley sound, buy a Harley or other V-Twin. Myself, nothing sounds sweeter than the OEM pipes. "Farm Truck" if you catch my drift . . .
                            1979 XS1100F
                            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The loud pipes do nothing for performance as far as I am concerned. Hard to tune etc. The one thing you will always have in your back pocket is the fact that it does not sound like it is a rocket but it performs like one.
                              It is kind of like building a street sleeper car, No one expects it to run like a scalded cat cause it sounds so tame!
                              I have bikes with the Jardine spaghetti headers and YES I would love it if they sounded better but they don't...oh well they DO perform. I have one bike with a 4 into 1 Jardine which sounds nice and is powerful enough, but does not offer quite the same performance. I just sold a bike with a Mac 4 into 2 and I will say that sucked compared to the Jardines, however it was a tad bit louder. I have a set of S+S mufflers on a stock set of headers that I am waiting to try one of these days.
                              I also have a set of replacement headers and mufflers (Yamaha) for the XS which are in really nice shape. They are waiting for just the right bike to show up in my garage.
                              In all honesty I prefer the stock pipes over any others that I have or have tried in the past. Both for performance and noise level.
                              One thing that helps the bike not sound so lame is the pod filters, but they also offer their own issues. It does sound kind of cool when you open the old girl up when it is properly tuned though, I must say that.
                              2-79 XS1100 SF
                              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                              X