Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE Alternative Ignition System

Friends,

We are about 30 days away from having a road test prototype ignition system to replace the stock TCI box on the XS.

Some of the major milestones of the project already acheived:

- Constructed of over-the counter parts.

- Serviceable by the average weekend mechanic.

- Uses original XS pickups ( sorry about this one, but no way around that YET).

- Uses original XS coil and ballast setup (or not, if you prefer others).

Still to be engineered is a board to fit inside the original TCI box, eliminating the need for special wiring and providing a true "plug -n- play" solution.

Thank you to all who have provided research tools (dead boxes).

More updates to follow, with posted photos.

Randy

Research

Hey Randy...

Very useful work... I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I always feel somehow that the ignition system is the achillies heel of the old XS's.

Good to see that someone with the skill to look at this is keen to play around and find a solution.

Heard of a similar project here in the UK that a friend of "Scoobes" was looking at.... if he reads this post he may let us know if that is coming on too.
    XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
    Guzzi 850
    Z1000

Comment

I think we're all looking forward to it, Randy. Don't mind the stock pickups, since I just ponied up $116 for them. The part number is still active, but I was told they are getting scarce. There wasn't enough wire to splice mine.
      2010 Kawasaki Z1000
      1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Working...
      X