? about engine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about engine noise

I've had 2 XS11's and both have a metallic tapping noise. It's not overly loud,..but it's audible. It's a very fast tap (if tap is the right word). Maybe it's just the natural sound of the valve train working?

And yes, oil is filled and fresh. The sound does not seem to go away after riding. Wondering if this might be the source of my vibration...

Thoughts?

Also, if I need valve adjustment, what would be a fair price to pay a mechanic?
    Rob - 79 SF

That'd be the sound of a DOHC engine. And, if that sound was non-existent, that's when you really need to pull that valve cover for valve lash measurement. However, if you have not done your lash in the ownership of your bike, do so. Takes less than an hour to measure, followed by shim swapping.

No, it's not the source of your vibration. My bet is that you have a muffler rubbing on the frame, your mount bolts are not tight, or your mounts may be cracked.

Fair price to pay your mechanic? In my experience, it does not work that way. They have their prices set on that. Or, are you the one with the backyard mechanic?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post

Fair price to pay your mechanic? In my experience, it does not work that way. They have their prices set on that. Or, are you the one with the backyard mechanic?
      I would take it to a professional shop for something like this. Glad to know it's a normal sound.

By fair I meant that I've found some shops charge a premium just because. Not necessarily better service. I've been quoted between $80 and $180 just for a tire mount and balance. I'm not sure how much more the $180 guy would have done for me but my tires did not even cost that much.
      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Mount and balance is $20-25 around here.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

cam chain

Hi Mr Hammer,,,,if you havent adjusted your cam chain yet it is necessary every few thousand miles to keep the engine quiet and smooth. It takes about 10minutes and if not done regularly it can cause the chain to make that tapping sound.....read the forums or bike manual to see how,,,,Mike in Sun DIego
          mike
          1982 xj1100 maxim
          1981 venture bagger
          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
          1959 wife

Comment

First off, a fair price depends on the time it take the mechanic. 2 hours will usually do a valve adjustment IF you have done it a few times. The mechanic that wanted $180 for the tire mount did NOT want your bike. You will have to ask around locally and try to find a shop that works on the old bikes.
            The cam chain could be part of the noise, and the mod to replace it with the auto adjuster is one I use on my herd. It works, and there is no thinking about it once you have it done. I would buy one of the units that fit from ebay, and take it in with you when you have the valve adjustment done. The extra 10 minutes the mechanic will charge should be cheap insurance over the stock units.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
              I would take it to a professional shop for something like this. Glad to know it's a normal sound.

By fair I meant that I've found some shops charge a premium just because. Not necessarily better service. I've been quoted between $80 and $180 just for a tire mount and balance. I'm not sure how much more the $180 guy would have done for me but my tires did not even cost that much.
              'Professional shop"..........really? Ain't happenin' on these ole' scoots......and I CAN elaborate if necessary.
              Trust me, the REAL pros are HERE, on this forum.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

'Professional shop"..........really? Ain't happenin' on these ole' scoots
                Probably not every town, but we DO have one shop here that ONLY works on the older bikes, '50 through '80's... He is a good mech, and charges a fair price for his work. And yes, he was working for Yamaha when the XS came out, so he does know the bike...
                Few and VERY far between, but it CAN happen...
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  'Professional shop"..........really? Ain't happenin' on these ole' scoots......and I CAN elaborate if necessary.
                  Trust me, the REAL pros are HERE, on this forum.
                  Actually, Michigan has quite a few shops that specialize in Vintage bikes.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                    Actually, Michigan has quite a few shops that specialize in Vintage bikes.
                    There's one about 20 min from me too. They're the only ones who don't look at me funny when I tell them what I have.
                    Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Anyone in NJ or nearby locale who could offer a hand for a 6 pack fix and show him how to do a valve adjustment and fit an auto CCT?
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                        Anyone in NJ or nearby locale who could offer a hand for a 6 pack fix and show him how to do a valve adjustment and fit an auto CCT?
                        That would be awesome! Love to do it myself, but don't want to open a can of worms and have the bike down for too long.

Will even buy the fancy imported stuff...
                        Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          Probably not every town, but we DO have one shop here that ONLY works on the older bikes, '50 through '80's... He is a good mech, and charges a fair price for his work. And yes, he was working for Yamaha when the XS came out, so he does know the bike...
                          Few and VERY far between, but it CAN happen...
                          VERY true Ray. But when a newer member says 'professional shop', it NORMALLY throws up a really red flag for me. I also have a private shop here, owner a good friend over the decades. He also, at a younger age was factory trained on the XS11's, spending a couple decades working at 'stealers' here prior.
                          I DO cheat, and let him re-shim my 11's valves, and for decades has done ALL my fork rebuildings. But hey, for the $40 to re-shim and same for labor to ME fork rebuilding, ain't messin with it myself cept for the fork removal.
                          Best part for valve re-shimming, is he does NOT believe in cam bearing cap removal if re-shimming is needed, cept in the case of a cam chain replacement. Also, the cam lobes looked so new on mine that he opted to use new shims, not used.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I'm in NYC and would bring some good beer to that party. Currently my SG is upstate but meaning to bring it down. Really would love to have help with the first valve adjustment and ACCT installation as I don't even have a proper garage in the city.
                            Steve R

'80 SG
                            "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                            1978 XS400E Red
                            1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Originally posted by Bergman16 View Post
                              I'm in NYC and would bring some good beer to that party. Currently my SG is upstate but meaning to bring it down. Really would love to have help with the first valve adjustment and ACCT installation as I don't even have a proper garage in the city.
                              Berg, if you find a good shop who knows these bikes, let me know. I'm in north jersey and have little mechanical knowledge. If I was to give this a try myself, it would not be til winter.
                              Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X