Replacement Shock Evaluation -- Suggestions and Advice Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marty,

I think what he's saying is that the eyelet piece of the shock is a little WIDER than the space between the swingarm bracket pieces. The bushings of the shocks match the BOLT that secures the shock eyelet to the bracket. I would think that it wouldn't hurt/ or weaken the eyelet to grind it down a little to narrow it enough to fit within the bracket sides. I even think I had to do that with the ones I put on over 15 years ago.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
      Marty,

I think what he's saying is that the eyelet piece of the shock is a little WIDER than the space between the swingarm bracket pieces. The bushings of the shocks match the BOLT that secures the shock eyelet to the bracket. I would think that it wouldn't hurt/ or weaken the eyelet to grind it down a little to narrow it enough to fit within the bracket sides. I even think I had to do that with the ones I put on over 15 years ago.

T.C.
      Hagon, YSS, Bitubo, and Progressive Suspension all have shocks that fit an XS1100 correctly and can be provided with the proper length and correct spring rate. IMHO, if you have to modify it to fit, it's probably incorrect in other areas as well. My short list is not comprehensive. Correct shocks for an XS1100 are available from many vendors. At the end of the day, you may do as you wish, but that's not how I roll.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

That's what I thought, I bought a set of generic 12.5" shocks off Amazon, but when I got to put them on, There was too much modifications needed to make it work, so I stopped. I don't ride much, so I couldn't justify $500 set, that's why the dilemma.
        Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

You could press the bushing out of the old shock and install in the new, BTDT. I've also cut/ground the eylet narrower as needed before. I am a cheap azz and won't spend $$$ either. Honda Shadow Showa shocks I believe are pretty much plug and play. GL
          Last edited by bikerphil; 05-28-2015, 02:17 PM.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            You could press the bushing out of the old shock and install in the new, BTDT. I've also cut/ground the eylet narrower as needed before. I am a cheap azz and won't spend $$$ either. Honda Shadow Showa shocks I believe are pretty much plug and play. GL
            That they are! Near by neighbor(e back of non-member) liked the ride of his 1100Shadow so well he installed same on his 81Special. Correct XS11 height and all. Rode the bike a couple times myself, and the back of that bike's ride was amazing, perfectly sprung and dampened over OEM!
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The OEM shocks are 35 years old. Even if they're NOS or very low mileage, they're still 35 years old. Technology has marched forward since then. It shouldn't be tough to gain an improvement.

On the other hand, putting random shocks on there isn't a great idea, IMHO. Shocks are a safety item. If someone on here has found takeoffs that are a proper fit and give a close enough spring rate, that may be a good option.

Decent shocks are going to cost $300-$500, and then go way up from there. I agree that it seems a bit silly to put $1200 shocks on a $1200 bike. I wouldn't do it either.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

I used RFY shocks on 71 cb750 and they were OK, quality of the cast parts ( all of the parts on those shocks are cast) is not very good, but none broke in the short 3-4kmi that I used them. They performed better than I expected them to perform, and were cheap ( I got them in China for 25$)

I would not buy them for 100$ and would opt instead for YSS instead.

Comment

Working...
                X