Replacement Shock Evaluation -- Suggestions and Advice Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Shock Evaluation -- Suggestions and Advice Requested

I'm looking to replace the stock shocks on my 79SF. I'd like to raise the rear a bit as well, and the research I've done here seems to indicate that handling will not be adversely affected, and may in fact benefit from a raise of 1" or so.

That said, I'm not sure whether any of the shocks I'm looking at on Ebay will be an improvement over the stock shocks.

For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Pair-360...204903&vxp=mtr

These will look great on my bike; I don't know if they're capable of handling the weight. They are air assisted, and I'm in the dark regarding whether that would pose any problems with my bike. Also, 360mm is about 14" and that might be a little too long, assuming it's an eye to eye measurement (stock being about 12 5/8"), so I might go with the 340mm model.

Any suggestions, referrals, or advice is greatly appreciated.
    79 SF

I ran a pair of them on the back of my SF for about 12 months.
    I got the 340mm units as the 360's would have put the universal joint at too much of an angle for my liking..BTW 325mm is the standard length eye to eye, so you do still get an appreciable increase in ground clearance with these.

[IMG][/IMG]

The spring rate I found to be a bit stiff even on the minimum preload setting for me, but as I only weigh 68kgs with all my riding gear on, that'd be ok for a more normal sized XS11 owner.
    The Shock dampening characteristics seemed reasonably good (much better than the worn stock shocks) with no bad reactions after hitting a good sized bump mid corner (happens quite a lot over here)

I've only replaced them now as I got a new set of Koni's at the right price, but they're still hung on the wall in the mancave just in case.

About the only real critisizm I have with them is that the Nitrogen reserviors limit access to the seat mounting hardware which requires the use of a socket and universal joint to reach the nuts

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a link to my thread on the Aussie site from when I fitted them - CLICK
    79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
    Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
    *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
    *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

The 360mm WILL cause problems down the road. Here is a link to the same sellers 340mm shocks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Pair-340...item48684b8b94 I am not going to say how well they work, as the only aftermarket shock I tried on an XS was Progressive 13.5", and they were just a little long. The U-joint didn't go out, but it was close to the limit on the angle.
      Let us know how they work, as the price seems good for a usable "new" shock unit!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

These are CHINA made stuff, but then again many things are.

ANY new shock will be an improvement over the OEM's mostly because with the OEM's there was no expansion dampening....and so when folks would get on the throttle, the tendency of the driveshaft to want to walk up the final drive pushed it downwards and the rear of the bike/seat would RISE giving the rider a bucking bronco type affect! I clearly and still distinctly remember that feeling on my NEW 81SH shortly after I got it broken in and decided to get a little spirited in the throttle action!

In 2000 when I did my rebuild...worn 1st/2nd gears, 10 years of sitting/rotting, Wiseco 1179cc kit, etc. I opted for some "inexpensive" Monza styled shocks from JC Whitney....were around $80.00 for the pair, just basic spring over oil piston type, not gas. But I remember being surprisingly pleased when again finished the topend breakin and got spirited on the throttle, and it was SOLID, no more bucking bronco!!!

Now, some 10 years later, they have these nifty dogbone separate air/nitrogen charged and oil style shocks...designed to help reduce the heat fatigue from just basic single chamber oil shocks, as well as the foaming affect from combined oil/gas type.

As Eveready stated, due to the piggyback dogbone chamber, they can interfere with bags and make it a little harder to access the seat bolts. And depending on how much of a purist you are with regards to the LOOK of your bike, you may not like the external chamber, and so you may want to look at just regular styled shocks....again, decent standard performance types are available in that same price range via eBay, MikesXS, Partsnmore, etc..

If you are fairly heavy, or ride 2 up with lots of luggage and gear, then the "cheap" single chamber spring coil over ones may not perform to your satisfaction, and so you may want to look into the more expensive brands, ie Hagon, or such, but otherwise, they may work just fine and save you a fair amount of $$ vs. the BRANDED ones!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks all

@Eveready1100

Wow, thank you. Followed the link, the information is invaluable.

@DiverRay

Yeah, I figured the 360mm would be too long. I'd like to raise the back end of the bike a bit (I'm 6'5"), but not too much.

@TopCatGr58

I was worried that these might not have the correct spring rate or otherwise be able to handle the weight of the bike. Everready has settled that. As far as the bags/seat mount bracket interfering: I've cafe'd the bike. I chopped the rear end of the frame and mounted a Tuffside seat. I know this kills some of you guys, but it's turned out fairly well. I'll post a picture once I get the shocks on.

Thanks for all your help, guys. I bought the 340mm model. I'll post again once I've got them on (shipping est. May 27th to June 1st) and give an update on how they feel and work about a month in. Only thing left to do after mounting them is figure out how to set the gas pressure/dampening/preload/etc. I assume they'll ship with nitrogen in them, not sure where I'd find that myself.
          79 SF

Comment

Forgot to add

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
            The spring rate I found to be a bit stiff even on the minimum preload setting for me, but as I only weigh 68kgs with all my riding gear on, that'd be ok for a more normal sized XS11 owner.
            The Shock dampening characteristics seemed reasonably good (much better than the worn stock shocks) with no bad reactions after hitting a good sized bump mid corner (happens quite a lot over here)
            Oh, I'm 6'5" about 105kg so I'll benefit from both the extra height and stiffness.
            79 SF

Comment

xj1100 shocks or harley air

Howdy,,,,I would heartily recommend the Xj1100 maxim air shocks if you can find a pair, around 100.00for a decent set, or the easily available stock Harley Davidson air shocks, 20.00 on up, for the larger models. I have both on different xs,xj1100 models and the ride is smooth and controlled, even two up. Check the threads for xj1100 shocks or harley shocks for info on install, reviews. The xj and harley are about half an hour to fit on....good luck, Mike in Sun Diego
              mike
              1982 xj1100 maxim
              1981 venture bagger
              1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
              1959 wife

Comment

I second Mike's recommendations on XJ air shocks. Best ride I've had on an XS single or 2-up and loaded for cross country. Adjust to suit you and under $100.

Can also be rebuilt.

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

FWIW, 'piggyback' gas shocks been around for 30+yrs. and were a real popular option on our Jap moto-x bikes, since the REAL motocross bikes still came from across the pond that time period, and European riders STILL ruled the sport......Husky, Maico,CZ, etc., some of which sported the piggyback gassers BEFORE the introduction of 'mono-shock, which Yamaha was the the FIRST to introduce on thier YZ's mid 70's.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    FWIW, 'piggyback' gas shocks been around for 30+yrs. and were a real popular option on our Jap moto-x bikes, since the REAL motocross bikes still came from across the pond that time period, and European riders STILL ruled the sport......Husky, Maico,CZ, etc., some of which sported the piggyback gassers BEFORE the introduction of 'mono-shock, which Yamaha was the the FIRST to introduce on thier YZ's mid 70's.
                    Correction.....40yrs. for 'piggyback gassers'..........forgot how old I'm REALLY gettin'.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Rear Shocks

On a 1979 Special, I had the forks reprogrammed (different valving and springs). This upgrade eliminated the need to add compressed air to the forks. Replaced the rear shocks with Bitubo coil-overs at the same time. Ride height and valving are both adjustable on them. Very nice transformation to the bike's steering and handling. The original Yamaha rears were completely worn out.

This upgrade was performed by Traxxion Dynamics. Phone: 770-592-3823
                      Last edited by MPittma100; 05-25-2015, 03:25 PM.
                      1981 XS1100H Venturer
                      K&N Air Filter
                      ACCT
                      Custom Paint by Deitz
                      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                      Stebel Nautilus Horn
                      EBC Front Rotors
                      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I just had a pair of XJ airshocks retrofitted onto my XS...the results are well worth it and are a huge improvement over what was there.
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I really don't believe you can get shocks that are any good for under $100. I'd expect them to be junk. I expext you'd be better with takeoffs at that price.

Good shocks with proper spring rates cost $300 to $500. Buy from someone who will get you the proper spring rate.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

So I'm gonna hijack this thread and ask, what do you guys do with aftermarket shocks on right side (standard) where the bracket is smaller than standard size eyelet....grind it to size? and bushings, what's a good source for new ones?

Thanks in advance
                            Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by mikubuilder View Post
                              So I'm gonna hijack this thread and ask, what do you guys do with aftermarket shocks on right side (standard) where the bracket is smaller than standard size eyelet....grind it to size? and bushings, what's a good source for new ones?

Thanks in advance
                              Buy good shocks with the proper bushings.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X