Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand Stopper.....

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
    Maybe this will work. I have one similar on mine.
    Do you have a 4->2? The Mikes description says this bolts to the passenger foot peg. My left muffler is directly under the passenger peg so that bracket won't work.

I have a leftover rubber stopper thing from the seat. I might be able to drill & tap a small 5mm into the stand arm to contact the muffler with that... It's not real big though and might not spread the impact too well. It's 'bout the size of the stopper on the OEM exhaust but that has a 2-point bracket welded to the side of the muffler housing.

KURT

Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

• Don't concern yourself with the muffler. Your only concern is stopping the centerstand short of the muffler. Mine has no exhaust on the left side right now. Maybe I'll remember to get you a photo tomorrow.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

• as stated elsewhere that bike is lookin better everytime you post an update...that fairing looks like what I have which is a NationalCycles Plexistar2...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Windscreen

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
          as stated elsewhere that bike is lookin better everytime you post an update...that fairing looks like what I have which is a NationalCycles Plexistar2...
          Thank you very much Mad Max,

I've ignored all my other toys (and some of my chores ) for the last two months working on it....

I really don't know what brand the windscreen is. It's a loaner from an XS11.com friend. He knew this was something beneficial but I had never owned a bike with one on it. At first, I had the screen too high and I didn't like it at all! Obviously, because I didn't have it set up correctly. I now have it at/about the level of my nose (maybe a little lower) and I am really beginning to like it a lot! I appreciate not having the wind on my chest but I can see properly over it.

I ordered a new rear tire, before the wife shut off the spending spree again. I'll need a new front as well but that'll have to wait until August. The tires on it are "driveable" but won't be sufficient for traveling to and participating in XSSE.

I'm at a point where the motor seems right and the machine is safe to drive. Now I'm going to have to clean up the little stuff, polish & clean a little more of the black bomb of spray paint off (still more on there) and take a few day trips to get use to the bike as it's a tank compared to my XJ Maxim. I'm just now getting comfortable leaning into a corner a little with it.

Now that I've pushed so hard..... I have the time to "shake-down" the bike before XSSE.

Thanks again for the comments.

Respectfully,
          KURT
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

• I am looking forward to meeting you and your wife at XSSE...this will be my 6th year in a row ...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• That winscreen is Memphis Shades, designed for a Harley or metric cruiser. The mounting hardware is a mix of Memphis Shades for something that fit XS1100 and Ace Hardware stuff. Whatever works!
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

• Stand Stop

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                Do you have a 4->2? The Mikes description says this bolts to the passenger foot peg. My left muffler is directly under the passenger peg so that bracket won't work.

I have a leftover rubber stopper thing from the seat. I might be able to drill & tap a small 5mm into the stand arm to contact the muffler with that... It's not real big though and might not spread the impact too well. It's 'bout the size of the stopper on the OEM exhaust but that has a 2-point bracket welded to the side of the muffler housing.

KURT

The part that Marty is showing comes as part of the hardware in an aftermarket exhaust kit. It mounts inside (frame side) of the left rear foot peg mount bracket and stops the stand. I have seen part of the foot pad for the center stand cut off to be able to clear the muffler on a MAC system. Hard to be sure, but it appears that it should work on your bike.
                Last edited by MPittma100; 07-20-2015, 08:42 PM.
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors
                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Stand Stop

KURT

The part that Marty is showing comes as part of the hardware in an aftermarket exhaust kit. It mounts inside (frame side) of the rear foot peg mount bracket and stops the stand. I have seen part of the foot pad for the center stand cut off to be able to clear the muffler on a MAC system.

Project is looking good. You are pretty much out of excuses. So, we will see you at XS Southeast?
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

• Double Post

woops! cowboy!
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                      These mufflers are FAR TOO LOUD
                      Yep, if they weren't as short and went back a bit further, they wouldn't sound nearly as loud when you are riding.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

• Stand Stop & BAD BAD Tire

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                        The part that Marty is showing comes as part of the hardware in an aftermarket exhaust kit. It mounts inside (frame side) of the left rear foot peg mount bracket and stops the stand. I have seen part of the foot pad for the center stand cut off to be able to clear the muffler on a MAC system. Hard to be sure, but it appears that it should work on your bike.
                        MPittma100 & Marty,
                        I just took a quick look and something mounted there could work if it had a little curve in it to clear the muffler. My muffler is almost directly under the passenger peg and is probably closer to the swing arm than the stock exhaust would. I believe I can fabricate something in few minutes in my shop at work that will use that peg mount and work. Thanks for the idea(s), I'll post a pic when finished.

SHAKEDOWN Cruising Results.......
                        As ya'll might have noticed, I'm getting a little excited about finally (after 2 months of work) getting a chance to drive the bike.

I used a backpack to carry my laptop and drove the XS11 to work today. Being passenger-less, I could get on 'er a little bit. Well, it seems the old rear tire that Marty had warned me about was not up to the task. It has quickly developed cracks that it did not have a day or so ago. The XS11 is NOT safe to drive until the tire is replaced.

Fortunately, I took Marty's advice and ordered a Pirelli MT66 from my new friend at the Yamaha Parts Counter. It is supposed to be in the store on/before Wednesday. Although the front is not showing any kind of abnormality, I'm going to order one of them for the front when the rear is installed.

Until I get the new rear tire, the bike will get more polish & PM work done....Gonna go take the tire & rim off now.....they charge less to mount the tire if it's off the bike

Respectfully,
                        KURT
                        Kurt Boehringer
                        Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

• Tires

MPittma100 & Marty,
                          I just took a quick look and something mounted there could work if it had a little curve in it to clear the muffler. My muffler is almost directly under the passenger peg and is probably closer to the swing arm than the stock exhaust would. I believe I can fabricate something in few minutes in my shop at work that will use that peg mount and work. Thanks for the idea(s), I'll post a pic when finished.

SHAKEDOWN Cruising Results.......
                          As ya'll might have noticed, I'm getting a little excited about finally (after 2 months of work) getting a chance to drive the bike.

I used a backpack to carry my laptop and drove the XS11 to work today. Being passenger-less, I could get on 'er a little bit. Well, it seems the old rear tire that Marty had warned me about was not up to the task. It has quickly developed cracks that it did not have a day or so ago. The XS11 is NOT safe to drive until the tire is replaced.

Fortunately, I took Marty's advice and ordered a Pirelli MT66 from my new friend at the Yamaha Parts Counter. It is supposed to be in the store on/before Wednesday. Although the front is not showing any kind of abnormality, I'm going to order one of them for the front when the rear is installed.

Until I get the new rear tire, the bike will get more polish & PM work done....Gonna go take the tire & rim off now.....they charge less to mount the tire if it's off the bike

Respectfully,
                          KURT
                          Yes, you were real close to walking home with that tire. Biggest tire condition indicator (as you may already know) is the date. At about 4-5 years, regardless of tread amount, they can become your worst enemy. Likely will wear one out much sooner.
                          1981 XS1100H Venturer
                          K&N Air Filter
                          ACCT
                          Custom Paint by Deitz
                          Stebel Nautilus Horn
                          EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

• XSSE The Ugly Duckling will be there

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                            So, we will see you at XS Southeast?
                            YEP! Reservations made a couple weeks ago.

There is still some SHAKE DOWN of the bike required but the motor seems to be running well and it WILL have two new tires & wheel bearings before the end of August. It will also need a new brake line for the rear, aux. driving lamps, and possibly a couple other tid-bits. The wife shut-off the buying spree again for the remainder of July so the few remaining items will need to wait until mid-August or early September.

KURT
                            Kurt Boehringer
                            Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

• Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                              YEP! Reservations made a couple weeks ago.

There is still some SHAKE DOWN of the bike required but the motor seems to be running well and it WILL have two new tires & wheel bearings before the end of August. It will also need a new brake line for the rear, aux. driving lamps, and possibly a couple other tid-bits. The wife shut-off the buying spree again for the remainder of July so the few remaining items will need to wait until mid-August or early September.

KURT
                              Slight hijack here. When I replaced my rear with SS I used one long piece. Kurt, are you going to remove the metal line that runs past the tire tread, I assume for safety, and use two short pieces? Wonder if anyone else has kept the metal...
                              Steve R

'80 SG
                              "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                              1978 XS400E Red
                              1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

• One piece preferred....

Originally posted by Bergman16 View Post
                                Slight hijack here. When I replaced my rear with SS I used one long piece. Kurt, are you going to remove the metal line that runs past the tire tread, I assume for safety, and use two short pieces? Wonder if anyone else has kept the metal...
                                Steve,
                                I would hope the replacement line is a single piece from master to the caliper. Personally, I'd be much happier (and feel safer) with a single line. That little chunk of solid isn't any more resistant to damage than a SS line in my opinion. Also, using a one-piece lines eliminates two(2) potential leak points/unions.

I looked at the offering from Chachal/Len (?sp) over on XJBikes.com and I'm not sure if it replaces all with one piece or not. If it does not replace the whole soft/hard/soft assembly with a one-piece hose I'll have it made locally by Pirtek.

Thanks for the question....not off-topic at all.

Sincerely,
                                Kurt
                                Kurt Boehringer
                                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky