Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to swap carb bank from 78 t0 80?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to swap carb bank from 78 t0 80?

Hello,
    I am new to this forum, thanks for allowing me to register in light of the issues.
    I have an 80 xs11Special and a 78 xs11.
    I took the carbs off of the 80 to clean and reassemble. I have had good luck with that, but I am entering new territory with synching 4 carbs. My questions is, can I transplant the carbs off of the smooth running 78, in need of new tires, to the 80? everything else on the 80 is really pristine and I would like to be riding it while I bring the 78 up to speed. I know this would be cheating, but I would have one bike to enjoy while taking the time to fix the other.
    Is this even a possibility, and is this a wise thing to do?
    All guidance is appreciated, my feelings won't get hurt.
    Thanks for your time,
    David
    XS Special 81
    XS Standard 78

Yes, they will go in and work fine. The problem is you will STILL need to sync them to have it run correctly. each engine is a little different, and they can change over time. that is why you need to sync carbs. Part of the sync is adjusting the idle mixture which WILL be different for each engine.
    Welcome to the site!!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Awesome,
      I would feel so much better about being able to enjoy one right now.
      I have the vacuum gauges and my son and I now have our weekend project lined up!
      David
      XS Special 81
      XS Standard 78

Comment

Hey Pat,

Just remember, don't change the jets!!! The jets are set for the year/model style of CARB body, not the year/model of bike. The 78 will have larger mains than the 80's, along with a variety of other differences, but they will not matter...they(78) carbs are jetted properly for their carb bodies. As stated by Scott, you will just need to tweak the fine tuning aspects...pilot screws and vac. synch.

Also remember that the 78's upper T's are VENT ports, and need to be open to vent...not plugged or capped....they are usually piped into the airbox nipples which are vac. ports to help recycle fuel vapors as well as allowing air to let the float bowl chambers vent. The 80'81 carbs have the bowl vents built into the intake/inlet bell...that's why there are 4 small ports vs. only 3 on the 78. If you have the airbox on the 80, check the nipples, they are probably PLUGGED because their carbs didn't need them, and Yamaha just left the nipples in the mold, but sealed the opening on the inside of the airbox.

If you cap the vents, the carbs will flood and leak!!!!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks, T.C., I forgot about that! Put a fuel filter on each VENT hose, and call it good. The airbox has a brass fitting inside the plastic that you would need to install, so don't bother. The other way is take the airbox off the '78, and use it on the '80. It should be a bolt on, as the ONLY difference is the vents....
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Will definitely do that, since both airboxes are in equally good shape. I will just swap them out. Thanks for the insight and quick response.
            David
            XS Special 81
            XS Standard 78

Comment

Good luck with the carb swap. I did not know that the carbs would interchange without changing any thing.

Bill
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

This place rocks.......
                Mark
                1980 xs1100g 3H5.......
                1992 Ducati 907ie
                2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal

Comment

Working...
                X