Need good route planner app?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need good route planner app?

You guys use any good route planning apps? Looking for something where I can plug in a route then hear it through my gps. I've checked my app store but I've yet to find something I like.
    Rob - 79 SF

I was persuaded to buy a motorcycle-specific gps the other year, so I bought a Tomtom Rider 2, along with a Garmin Zumo 660. Garmin is a much better GPS hands-down.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I was looking for am app for my android phone. I can her the phones gps through an ear piece.
      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

I have not used it for the bike yet, but I use WAZE on my android phone. It can "talk" to you in the car, so it should be able to do the same via bluetooth. It's also available for apple, so if you have a smart phone that will work. Just be sure to have a power hook-up for the phone, as the GPS uses a LOT of power combined with WAZE.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Waze also alerts you of red light / speeding cameras. And users can post traffic jams or police watching traffic and it will route you around them. It's super cool!!!
          78 E

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
            I have not used it for the bike yet, but I use WAZE on my android phone. It can "talk" to you in the car, so it should be able to do the same via bluetooth. It's also available for apple, so if you have a smart phone that will work. Just be sure to have a power hook-up for the phone, as the GPS uses a LOT of power combined with WAZE.
            I've used Waze for about 3 or 4 years and am a pretty big fan. Google bought them in 2013, but the app has remained relatively unchanged since then. Ditto on the battery consumption. I change the map mode from auto to night to change the map background from white to black to hopefully save some power when my display is on.
            82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
            Website/Blog

Comment

I downloaded wave last night. I could not figure it out. I'm not looking for a point a to point b app. More of a point a to b to c to d and back home type app. Does wave do this?
              Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Waze used to have the ability to add stops to your route, but it looks like it was removed .

I had an app long ago on a Windows Mobile phone by one of the GPS manufacturers that was surprisingly good, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

The Google Maps app used to allow you to add multiple destinations/stops, but it doesn't appear to allow it anymore. You can still plan a route on the website, though and recall the route on the mobile app, but that isn't much help changing plans on the road.

I have seen good reviews for Road Warrior https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...arrior.android and it looks like it would be a pretty good trip planner. It looks like it passes routes to the navigation app of your choice, so you could still use something like Waze that benefits from crowd-sourced traffic, accidents, police, etc for the actual turn-by-turn routing.

Good luck and let us know if you find a winning combination!
                82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                Website/Blog

Comment

So Road Warrior app is a no go as well. Still can't seem to find an app where I can plan a route and have it play through my phones google maps gps. You think in the year 2015 everything would have been thought of...lol. Guess I need to develop my own app!

Anyone else with a suggestion? I feel like I've downloaded and tried them all at this point. Again,...not looking for a point A to B app,...they all do that. Looking to plan out all the roads for some nice back road riding.
                  Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                    So Road Warrior app is a no go as well. Still can't seem to find an app where I can plan a route and have it play through my phones google maps gps. You think in the year 2015 everything would have been thought of...lol. Guess I need to develop my own app!

Anyone else with a suggestion? I feel like I've downloaded and tried them all at this point. Again,...not looking for a point A to B app,...they all do that. Looking to plan out all the roads for some nice back road riding.
                    A PLAN riding a scoot!.........NOT, what fun is that? General direction....and wing it as you go from there.....has worked for me for 35+yrs. on LD rides with destinations or otherwise..............and never been late if the clock was an issue.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Still can't seem to find an app where I can plan a route and have it play through my phones google maps gps.
                      I know what the problem is, GOOGLE MAPS GPS! Use the app with WAZE, it should work well. I don't google ANYTHING I don't have to.....I use open office at work and home, and try to stay away from ANYTHING apple for the same reasons. I paid for it, it's mine, and I only share with those I trust, not anyone the "company" thinks I should.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        A PLAN riding a scoot!.........NOT, what fun is that? General direction....and wing it as you go from there.....has worked for me for 35+yrs. on LD rides with destinations or otherwise..............and never been late if the clock was an issue.

There's a destination I want to get to, but I want to stay off the highways and take a solid scenic route. Don't want to end up doing circles in some suburban neighborhood...lol
                        Rob - 79 SF

Comment

I would like to be able to pre-plan routes on the computer with miles so I can estimate my time. I wish I could just fly by the seat of my pants but that is out these days, got to schedule in the rides
                          Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
                          1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
                          1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Hi MrHammer,
                            On a stand alone GPS unit the ability to route plan seems to cost about $100 more than an simple A to B unit.
                            Maybe more complicated than you think?
                            Phil
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

There's a destination I want to get to, but I want to stay off the highways and take a solid scenic route. Don't want to end up doing circles in some suburban neighborhood...lol
                              Opps....didn't consider that being west of the Mississippi......and should of thought of that having been to east coast in the past.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X