Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now Hands-On Help Needed Carb cleaning in Tampa Fla.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long run today

Hi all and thank you all again for the help with my bike. I went on a 35-40 mile trip, had a friend drive it I am close, Yesterday I rebuilt my petcocks, put a new gasket on my gas cap lid, Lightly set each screw, and backed each one off 2.5 turns.

Its a little choppy and coughie on the way up 2-3k clears up at 4 rolling along at 4-5 thousand 55-60 I can power up pretty good feels nice, rounded and few long corners and powered up good, Starts and idles good, just little foggy in low rpms and slow running 30mph

I am close......
    Bike History:1980 XS 1100 special current bike
    1980 XS 850 special wife sold

Comment

• Sounds like you need the "final" setting with vacuum gauges, otherwise known as a sync. It takes practice to get it right on, but it's worth it! Just do SMALL adjustments, let it settle, and check. Make sure you have a fan blowing air over the engine while you do it.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• Yep, don't change things at the moment, get a sync done and then re-assess.

I had a crummy inconsistency in the lower rpm range with my ZRX when I did a carb conversion on it last year. Went up to CZ's place and did a sync, man did it ever smooth out AND kept me from spending more time chasing the tuning around when it wasn't the tuning.

Theoretically speaking, your bike should be dialed in to a "T", so get the sync and see what it does.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Ta da

Hip hip hurray,
          I am back on two wheels! It runs great doesn't miss a lick. I set all jets at 3 turns out, synced same crap. I pulled the plugs to check the burn on the plugs and one plug was almost closed, maybe get a playing card in. I set .030 on all plugs, varummmmmm away I go like new.

Thank you all

Comment

• Horse Power

Originally posted by Jeffintampa View Post
            Hip hip hurray,
            I am back on two wheels! It runs great doesn't miss a lick. I set all jets at 3 turns out, synced same crap. I pulled the plugs to check the burn on the plugs and one plug was almost closed, maybe get a playing card in. I set .030 on all plugs, varummmmmm away I go like new.

Thank you all
            95 horse power does not seem like a lot in today's super bike power war, but it sure is nice when it's all there when you want it.
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffintampa View Post
              Hip hip hurray,

Thank you all
              That must have been the one you dropped onto the garage floor!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

• in the box

I think it was in the box with the cams, sprockets, nuts, bolts

Comment

Working...
                X