Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys wash your engines with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys wash your engines with?

She's a very dirty girl right now. I'm not sure if all the metal parts are aluminum, steel, both?

What metal cleaners and degreasers do you guys use to cut through the road grime and really tough stuff?
    Aluminum cleaner? Mag wheel cleaner? Simple green? Acid based products?

**The bike is fully assembled so a parts bath is not in the cards.
    Rob - 79 SF

I use Dawn dishwashing soap. If it's good for the birds, it's good for the XS. Simple green and some of the other cleaners WILL cause problems with aluminum...
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Love this stuff

I use LA's Totally Awesome, I warn you all though after using this stuff you will always have to have a bottle in the garage. I add it to my work clothes in the washer, clean my convertible top, lunch box, and add a tad of bleach will clean showers and grout. Stuff is very mild no bad smell or heavy fumes.

I have an electric power washer I put it in and the soap feature suds it up and I rinse off.

This stuff sprayed on dirt and grime add a sprit of water and brush, rinse with water and you will be amazed.

Dollar general sells it, its in a clear bottle and looks like P 3.00 a liter 1.00 for a spray bottle.
      Bike History:1980 XS 1100 special current bike
      1980 XS 850 special wife sold

Comment

WD40 is what I degrease with. I use some Super Clean sparingly on tough spots. It will wreck aluminum as Ray pointed out. I use car wash soap and keep the polished and painted stuff waxed.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Cleaners

I use the LA Awesome and Simple Green. But you must not use either at full strength. Read the "structions" on the label or you will etch everything.
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I just used brake cleaner and carb cleaner no worries. If you have repainted your engine I'd skip this method.

John
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Thanks all. I bought the extreme simple green motorsports cleaner and tried it yesterday. I heard it does not eat up metal like regular simple green. Nothing amazing happened. I'm doubting anything will just spray on and rinse off really tough road grime. Just going to have to get a tooth brush and put in a days worth of elbow grease.
              Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Brake cleaner dissolves the grime and it drips off. Thats what I use before spraying it down.

I have used Gunk foaming citrus engine cleaner too. Just let it set awhile on a warm engine.

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                  Thanks all. I bought the extreme simple green motorsports cleaner and tried it yesterday. I heard it does not eat up metal like regular simple green. Nothing amazing happened. I'm doubting anything will just spray on and rinse off really tough road grime. Just going to have to get a tooth brush and put in a days worth of elbow grease.
                  A tooth brush will not suffice...you need a brush with bristles at least 2" long...BTDT I have also used Simple green and rinsed it off thoroughly...not seen any degrading metals...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I use a 1 1/2" paint brush and after the brake cleaner for the really bad grime just dish detergent and the brush to move it around. Rinse with light hose pressure. Remember to clean and rinse the underside too.
                    Check for oil leaks etc before removing the evidence
                    Mine is due for a bath on Saturday
                    Phil
                    Buffing and polishing is covered in a different thread.
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                    X