Left oil seal replacement help asap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left oil seal replacement help asap!

I am replacing the left oil seal the engine is an 80 or 81, don't remember. But the two screws holding on the vacuum advance timing thing are not regular screws like I've seen in other pictures on here they look like bolts with a really small head on them and they are inside holes so I can't just grab them with vice grips. I've tried a 4mm and 4.5mm sockets. I've tried a E-4 star socket(to small) and E-6 star socket (to big). The auto parts store doesn't have an E-5 so I don't know if that's the right tool or not. Anyone help please. I will load pictures when I can.
    USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle
    78 XS1100E - Rebuilt And Sold I SHOULD OF KEPT IT!!!

You need to drill out the "head" to remove them. Then buy new screws. They are a one time use, so you can't play with the timing bolt.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks that's what I was getting close to doing anyways. Dies anyone know the thread pitch and length and all that stuff so I can get new screws before I drill the old ones. If not I guess I will just have to wait and get the new screws after I get the old ones out.

Thanks again.
      USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle
      78 XS1100E - Rebuilt And Sold I SHOULD OF KEPT IT!!!

Comment

M6 x 1.00 x 30mm
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Take your time removing old seal so no scratches on opening. You drive new seal in. If it does not drive in tight oil pressure can push it out. They make a good dual lip seal Marty has part number listed in a thread. I just finally got mine to where is does not leak so PM me if you have issues.

Ron
          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
          1980 G Silverbird
          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
          1198 Overbore kit
          Grizzly 660 ACCT
          Barnett Clutch Springs
          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
          122.5 Main Jets
          ACCT Mod
          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
          Antivibe Bar ends