petcock lever position ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petcock lever position ?

On the petcock lever, one side has a line scored into it and the opposite side has the lever. Should the score or the lever side be facing the desired position?
    Rob - 79 SF

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    On the petcock lever, one side has a line scored into it and the opposite side has the lever. Should the score or the lever side be facing the desired position?
    ==========
    If your 79 SF petcocks are stock, lever down vertical is ON and lever forward horizontal (both sides) is OFF -- all to say the "score" indicates what is going on; not the lever. Thanks for helping me remember to get my 79 SF on the centerstand immediately!
    JIM P.
    ==========
    79 SF

Comment

I thought so. The reason I ask is because when I point the score in the direction of off,..I get fuel leakage out of the left most carb when on the kick stand and sitting. I thought maybe it was switched so I pointed the lever to off and no leakage.

What gives there??

BTW,..the petcocks seem to be on right. The L is on the left side and R on right side (if I'm sitting on it).
      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

mrhammer, I always point the lever in the direction of what I want. I've a tank in the garage with the lever towards off and it's not leaking and full to the top.

I thought so. The reason I ask is because when I point the score in the direction of off,..I get fuel leakage out of the left most carb when on the kick stand and sitting. I thought maybe it was switched so I pointed the lever to off and no leakage.

What gives there??

BTW,..the petcocks seem to be on right. The L is on the left side and R on right side (if I'm sitting on it).
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
          mrhammer, I always point the lever in the direction of what I want. I've a tank in the garage with the lever towards off and it's not leaking and full to the top.
          ==========
          Sorry guys -- donebysunday is right! I just went out and looked and the lever *IS* the indicator! So on the stock '79 SF petcocks, lever forward is OFF; lever down is ON; lever UP for reserve. (Lever to the rear is PRI/Prime which I have capped off on mine because we removed the octy.)
          JIM P.
          ==========
          79 SF

Comment

What gives there??

==========
            Ignore the score and go with the lever. It was leaking because lever to the rear is PRIme = full fuel flow no matter what. When you switch the lever to OFF (forward) = no leakage . . . as it should be. Others have pointed out it is best when "storing" these bikes for more than an hour or so to put them on the centerstand. That lean to the left on the side stand can make the left most carb leak/overflow when otherwise it wouldn't.
            JIM P.
            ==========
            79 SF

Comment

Phew!!! I just had my carbs rebuilt and cleaned so I was hoping all was ok. Glad I have the levers right.

Thanks!
              Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Working...
              X