How durable is the 2nd gear fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How durable is the 2nd gear fix?

I kind of think with my bike, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." So I'm wondering about the 2nd gear issue.

If I ever have the engine accessible or something like that but 2nd gear isn't doing funky stuff (45k miles) is it worth tinkering with anyway?

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

I've enjoyed a bit of tinkering myself over the years, what with keeping Tsunami , Purple Reign , and Black Ice on the road. Tsunami has just clocked over 88,000 km (55,000 miles) and has never displayed the second gear problem. I may enjoy tinkering as much as the next guy, but I'm sure not going in do second gear just or the fun of it.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey there Ben,

Mine developed the 1st gear problem 1st, then second came shortly thereafter. Like Ken said, unless you were going to tear down the engine and pull it off the frame, I wouldn't bother with it. I did mine in 2000, have ridden to several rallies and a few thousand miles so far, and it's seemed to hold up quite well, however after putting my big bore in it, I decided to not put so many highway superslab miles on it just to get to the rallies, so that's why I built my trailer. I don't ride it every day to work either, again, to keep the mileage and wear to a minimum. It took 9 years and somewhere over 50K to cause it to happen, and I was a bit rough on those lower gears also!

If you do a Big Bore kit, then you'll have the clutch out and so it won't be much more to pull the countershaft bearing cap off and slide 5th out to inspect it. If the dogs look like they're getting rounded off a bit, you could then do the back cut technique and save yourself an extra trip inside later!? I would highly recommend inspecting 1st/4th as well. You'll want to take a look at the tech tips pictures and diagrams to see the wear I'm talking about! HTH.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X