No announcement yet.

Help! Tranny fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did, thanks. I think the cable is as tight as it gets, but maybe it is stretched out, I had a hell of a time getting it on when the clutch was stuck. I'll see if I can get the bike moving. Thanks.
    1981 XS 11 special
    red
    40,000 miles

Comment

If the cable/release mechanism is properly adjusted, you should have about 1/4" movement at the ball end of the lever before you feel the pressure from the clutch. This is about 2mm, or 1/16" at the bolt end of the lever.
      IF the plates didn't get oiled, then yes, it will not be happy. To free it up, get the bike going, as in riding it, pull in the clutch and put on the rear brakes while keeping the engine revs up. That should free up the plates, and it should smooth out quickly if all is right with the clutch.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You sir, are a genius! I put the bike on the center stand and let the tire spin until i could stop it without stalling, then took it for a short ride (I let the reg lapse, can't go too far)It now runs in both first and second gear! I could not be happier, thanks to everyone for helping me through this.
        1981 XS 11 special
        red
        40,000 miles

Comment

Working...
        X