Help! Tranny fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just an update,
    Got the Tranny apart, ground the gears. I started to put it back together and discovered that I had mauled the large snap ring beyond repair. This is when I discovered the true caliber of my local auto parts stores:
    Advanced and Pep boys: "what is that thing? I don't think we sell those" (not making this up)
    Autozone had the small ones, not the larger ones. Napa will have them, but closes early on Sundays, so I'll have to try them after work.
    I sanded and painted the pipes while I had them off, they were a mess. I was going to paint the tank and side covers, my wife talked me into waiting until I'm sure I can make the bike run again.
    Thanks for all the help, I will post results and pictures when all is back together, probably later in the week, tonight is soccer practice and tomorrow looks like rain.
    1981 XS 11 special
    red
    40,000 miles

Comment

Just an update because I hate leaving threads hanging:
      Time is not my friend in general, I have finished the dremel fix, and started to put the bike back together. The oil pan is back on, clutch is back on. Hope to get the clutch cover on tonight and flip it back over. Hopefully riding by the end of the week (optimistically hoping)
      1981 XS 11 special
      red
      40,000 miles

Comment

So, still upside down but all covers are back on. Clutch does not move, any idea what I am doing wrong?
        1981 XS 11 special
        red
        40,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by Hmar View Post
          So, still upside down but all covers are back on. Clutch does not move, any idea what I am doing wrong?
          As in dis-engage/engage for and aft motion?.........better explanation needed.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Sorry, once the clutch cover is back on, shouldn't I be able to engage, disengage by pushing the release mechanism up? It does not budge.
            1981 XS 11 special
            red
            40,000 miles

Comment

You will need to back out the adjuster, and then try it again. I'm talking about the 10mm nut on the cross head shaft that the actuator is mounted to. loosen the nut, and back out the screw until it turns easily. Then, turn it back in until you just feel resistance, and back it off about 1/4 turn. Then, holding the screw, tighten the nut back up.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                You will need to back out the adjuster, and then try it again. I'm talking about the 10mm nut on the cross head shaft that the actuator is mounted to. loosen the nut, and back out the screw until it turns easily. Then, turn it back in until you just feel resistance, and back it off about 1/4 turn. Then, holding the screw, tighten the nut back up.
                .....and actuation testing, unless you got gorilla hands, pivoting that arm is not going to be possible without a crescent wrench.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks all, I will try it. This is far and away the most complex mechanical task I have ever undertaken, so I am a little paranoid about it.
                  1981 XS 11 special
                  red
                  40,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by Hmar View Post
                    Thanks all, I will try it. This is far and away the most complex mechanical task I have ever undertaken, so I am a little paranoid about it.
                    ....that's a good thing......helps with paying attention to detail in the future.

Comment

Ok, so I finally had a chance to put the bike upright, reattached the clutch cable and handle, and the clutch doesn't budge. Any ideas?
                      1981 XS 11 special
                      red
                      40,000 miles

Comment

Pull the cover and check the adjustment at the lever. Loosen lock nut, back off screw till you can move the lever, and then turn it in till you just feel it touch, and back it off 1/4 turn. I know this is a re-peat, but it takes a SOFT TOUCH when you are turning in the screw! STOP at the least amount of resistance, and back it off 1/4 turn.
                        Last edited by DiverRay; 06-04-2015, 08:42 AM.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG

Comment

There does not seem to be a point where I can disengage the clutch. Did I mess up the clutch itself?
                          1981 XS 11 special
                          red
                          40,000 miles

Comment

Probably, you will need to pull the clutch cover to see what went wrong. If you have the bike on the side stand, it should not require an oil drain.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG

Comment

Ok, now I have the bike back together, the clutch feels better but does not fully disengage. With the bike running, if I put it in gear it stalls immediately. With the bike off and in gear with the clutch in, i can push the bike with a massive effort. Any ideas?
                              1981 XS 11 special
                              red
                              40,000 miles

Comment

First I would try removing any slack in the cable up at the handlebar adjustment, see if it improves. It is also possible that there is no oil on your clutch frictions after reassembly. Riding the bike some will redistribute the oil. Be careful doing this. You did the 1/4 turn CCW adjustment from lightly seated under the clutch mechanism cover, correct?
                                2H7 (79)
                                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                                X