Speedo gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo gear

When I got my 81H the speedo didn't work, the guy said it was the cable so I changed that and still didn'twork. thinking the speedo was the problem because it looked tampered with Got a different speedo and that didn'twork either. So today I got a different gear mech that is connected to the wheel and will see if that works. my guess is the small dogs broke inside it. Is this common ? Thanks . And yes I could have saved a LOT of time had I just spun the wheel when it was disconneted from the speedo to see if it was spinning to begin with.
    81 H

There should be a washer with 2 tabs sticking up that fit into the slots of the speedo gear on the front wheel. Are they there and lined up right Ken?

If you need I can send some pics if you don't know what I'm talking about.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hi Greg, I took the inner peice out also so I have them, Im concernedif I might need the washers andthat spring that went around it/ that seemed to be pressed in. I have no idea what year the old bike was due to being stripped down so much and if they are compatable. I just had a new tire put on last week and I wish I would have gotten the parts sooner EEither way I got the parts for 10 bucks so not a big investment if I can get it to work. I'm thinking those tabs/dogs in mine are bent or broke.Thanks
      81 H

Comment

There should be that ring with tabs that fit into slots in the wheel and tabs that fit into slots in the gear, a spacer on top of that all held in there by a grease/dust seal.

I think I may have a Standard gear out here and the other parts are the same on all models.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Have you had to replace them before? If so which are the parts that break? I got the whole outer housing intact but only got the locking washer that was inset held by the seals. the old seals got wrecked removing the inner locking washer.
          81 H

Comment

Working...
          X