FINALLY got her finished! Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINALLY got her finished! Pics

The mechanic has had her since December. Finally was able to pick up last week. I added the fairing as the final touch last night. Some of the mods:
    - Chopped rear section and remove lighting.
    - LED all-in-one strip lighting in the rear.
    - Removed all front lighting and replaced with an all-in-one headlamp that has LED signals built in.
    - Fiberglass tracker seat pan. Custom mounts to get seat pan as low to frame as possible.
    - Wrapped exhaust with baffled tips. Mac headers (which I'm not a fan of,...cheap). Sound is awesome from these tips though!
    - Velocity stacks (yes I know I know,...but I love the look!)
    - Painted metallic black with black Yamaha striping
    - Acewell digital gauges (would not do Acewell again)
    - Jetted, grips, dirt bike style bars, removed front fender, TKAT, few other misc things

Wheels getting powder coated gunmetal and new rubber going on next week.

Mad Max was my inspiration.

Rob - 79 SF

It looks great! Now, bring it to a rally, so a bunch of us can drool on it.

Here's a front fender for it:

motolanna.com
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Looks great! That seat pan looks really sharp! If you're willing to accept critique, I'd go with a larger rear taillight, red in color for reflective purposes. If you ride at night, the reflective properties of the red signsl lens help just as-much as the light. Plus, it looks empty back there.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I've been looking for some local get togethers in North Jersey area. As you can see my seat is NOT set up for long distance riding . It's one of the changes I might be making. Need a gel type seat pad.

Thanks Jet! That site has some great stuff,..just wish I could search by xs1100.
        Rob - 79 SF

Comment

If yoou put in a gel pad, keep a white cover on the seat when parked! I KNOW what happens when you don't, and a long ride standing on the pegs is no fun!! BTDT
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            Looks great! That seat pan looks really sharp! If you're willing to accept critique, I'd go with a larger rear taillight, red in color for reflective purposes. If you ride at night, the reflective properties of the red signsl lens help just as-much as the light. Plus, it looks empty back there.
            Your bike looks great, nice work !
            I agree with Ian the tail looks like somethings missing, good eye Ian.
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
            80 XS 1100 SG
            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Thanks Ian. Def open to ideas. The LEDs are actually very bright. I went with the $100 version, not the $30 fleabay deals. The guy who did the fab work actually had the license plate and lighting mounted under the tail section,...right where I wanted it. About an hour into my 1st ride the plate and lighting were vaporized when I hit a decent size bump.... Not much clearance back there plus I weight about 250lbs. So the strip lighting was plan B. I could have also used a lighted side mount plate bracket but I was in a haste to get her done plus I was not keen on seeing the wires.

My only concern on the strip lighting is they are adhered (as per the design). Seems to be a very strong bond but who knows. Will find out....
              Rob - 79 SF

Comment

As far as motolanna goes, a lot of stuff that fits XS650 will fit XS11.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

well I'm not a fan for the most part but I will give you credit for at least doing it well...the rear tail section does look like something is missing...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

well I'm not a fan for the most part but I will give you credit for at least doing it well...the rear tail section does look like something is missing...
                    I'll bet you wont get far in NJ with the license plate mounted that way...alot of LEOs' dont like that...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                      I'll bet you wont get far in NJ with the license plate mounted that way...alot of LEOs' dont like that...
                      I thought I would get more love from a guy named Mad Max,...

Surprisingly I've not heard of anyone getting busted for side mount plates here in NJ. I know a lot of people that use them too. I've seen some buried so far into the wheel well that you can barely see them at all.

Plus the side mount will give the LEO an optional ticket instead of the speeding ticket
                      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

LOL...well I am a purist...i dont believe in chopping the frame on a perfectly good bike...to me fully a restored and as close to OEM as possible is beauty enough for me...but grudgingly I do understand that people like to make their own statement...and I have given you credit for at least making it look good...there are many out there that dont fare as well...most importantly is that you have not sacrificed ride quality or safety...but riding in the rain without a front fender will get old real quickly. I lived in NJ 30+ yrs and most of my LEO friends didnt care for that kind of mounting...good luck with it...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I like the look... big fan of repurposed bikes.... I'm thinking if you move the tag up to rear of seat and fab it in with the brake and turn signals it would finish that space off better and the bike would be more balanced.... the current tag location seems more like bobber chopper styling.... just me talking out loud... example:

1979 F worst one i could find
                          to convert into a bobber/ streetfighter!

We can't all get along!

Comment

Thanks Feather. I thought of that but that seems even more out of sight for cops than what I have.

I see the consensus is that I need to fill that space. Lemme search the interweb for plate holder like this.
                            Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Not to worry about Ben's critique. He hates everybody. Right Ben?

Mr. Hammar, I like it. I think modifying a Special and making it look right takes a special eye for it. I don't think I could do it. I could copy it, but I couldn't come up with that on my own. My hat is off to you.

As far as the license plate goes, I have no clue what New Jersey says. I do know that the Georgia law leaves room for the discretion of a police officer. It says the plate has to be illuminated and legible. I see some mounted vertically here and others mounted forward of the rear tire. I'm just not one to give them an excuse. I know they usually let most stuff slide, or they're unaware of what the law says.

Throw that thing in a truck and bring it to XSSE in Sept. We have a Hauley Award for towing the shortest distance. No worries. You won't win it.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X