Sandblasting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandblasting...

There may be a possibility that I could rebuild my XS in the future (big bore, valves, etc.). I can't stand how old the bike looks.

Will sandblasting the head, valve cover, and cylinder assemblies bring back factory luster? If the media will not be reused can engine dissasembly be avoided?

If I take out the engine I might as well do a complete frame-up restore and I don't know if I have the expertise for that.

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

check this out

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=3987
    There's always a way, figure it out.
    78XS11E

Comment

Re: Sandblasting...

Originally posted by ae7f
      There may be a possibility that I could rebuild my XS in the future (big bore, valves, etc.). I can't stand how old the bike looks.

Will sandblasting the head, valve cover, and cylinder assemblies bring back factory luster? If the media will not be reused can engine dissasembly be avoided?

If I take out the engine I might as well do a complete frame-up restore and I don't know if I have the expertise for that.

Ben
      Sand blasting is to dustructive but you can use ground walnut shells or corncob in a sand blasting hopper to clean up aluminum.

Years ago I dropped off a Ducati cylinder to be bored and they used my cylinder to test a new walnut shell blaster they had. The cylinder came back looking like new.

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Try vapour blasting

Some places in the UK offer vapour blasting for sensitive parts..... no blasting media involved and therefore no nasty surprises if damaging particles are trapped in some out of the way part of the engine after the work is done. This can really wreck things later on once the engine is running.

The place I know of in the UK have in the past taken a whole engine (friends Z1100) and sealed all holes with a polyurethane foam and cleaned up the engine cases to the assembled engine in one vapour blasting process. Looked great afterwards and wasn't that expensive.
        XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
        Guzzi 850
        Z1000

Comment

I used glass beads on mine, came out well with no appreciable degradation.

Comment

I used good ol' sand in a blast cabinet. I just masked off the areas that I didn't want blasted with aluminum tape, and then trimmed it with an exacto knife. After balsting, I used compressed air, a pressure washer, and fresh water rinse. Then, I did it all again. All threaded holes wre cleaned out with a tap, and compressed air.

Comment

Originally posted by squarehdca
              I used glass beads on mine, came out well with no appreciable degradation.
              This is what I did as well, and it came out beautiful. I wouldn't try it with the engine assembled tho. From what I was told, it doesn't matter how well you think you have all the openings sealed, the "damm sand gets into everything" syndrome will apply.
              Brian
              1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
              1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
              remembering the same thing!

Comment

Working...
              X