No announcement yet.

Throttle Cable Breakage. Carry a Spare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Cable Breakage. Carry a Spare?

Hey

Was wondering if it's worth having a spare throttle cable around. Have you ever busted one or are they pretty bullet proof?
    Living to EXcess.
    1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
    Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
    1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

I've had ONE break in about 30+ years, and I screwed it up first. If you inspect, and lube the cable it should last almost forever. There is very little force for the cable size.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I replaced mine with an OEM cable because the elbow and lock nut were rusty. I didn't like the way it looked. I'm pretty sure my clutch cable is original.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I had mine break on me while on the road. Ended-up riding the bike pulling on the throttle cable with one hand, shifting with the other. Tell me that's not talent!! When I pack for the U.P. Rally, I'll be bringing an extra clutch & throttle cable. Watched a few Youtube videos throughout the years. Nobody seems to mention them.

What would you do if your's broke?
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          I had mine break on me while on the road. Ended-up riding the bike pulling on the throttle cable with one hand, shifting with the other. Tell me that's not talent!! When I pack for the U.P. Rally, I'll be bringing an extra clutch & throttle cable. Watched a few Youtube videos throughout the years. Nobody seems to mention them.

What would you do if your's broke?
          Is original on mine also, but since I've put a new spare MP cable in one of the trunks, likely will never break. Some route a new extra cable alongside mounted one for an easy swap if it should fail.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Broken throttle cable on the ZRX last spring, snapped when I rolled on the throttle coming out of a corner. ZRX carbs have convenient idle adjustment knob within easy rich of my left hand. Used the idle adjustment to ride home for 40 miles on back roads, and got pretty good at modulation. Used the kill switch to chop the throttle at each shift, then ease clutch back out and kill switch back on in unison. Pretty smooth shifts and use idle adj knob for cruise speed.

Still trying to talk myself into putting the ZRX carbs on the 80SG. These would be the same carbs that were on the ZRX in the above paragraph. I have ZZR1200 carbs on the ZRX now and will never go back to stock. Just on the chance I would gain even close to similar response and additional performance with ZRX carbs on the XS, I should just do it.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I just keep Tod around. He carries a spare or two.

Busted mine 1000 miles from home in Michigan U.P. Thankfully Tod had one. I now carry one with me, will probably NEVER need it now. lol
              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
              '82 XJ1100
              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Locally, no I don't carry one, but on trips.. I carry a spare throttle and clutch cable, plus an extra brake and clutch handle. They don't take up much space at all and have come in pretty handy.

I broke a clutch cable while standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona....not a fine sight to see. On a Saturday night. No problem, I always have a spare here.. Hmm.. where is that thing.. OH CRAP! I GAVE IT TO HARRY ON OUR LAST RIDE!!! *Sigh...

So that's another lesson.. If you lose/use one, throw your replacement back in the bag before you go on your next trip.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Well If the girl in the flatbed ford gives you a ride then it's all good!
                  Living to EXcess.
                  1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
                  Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
                  1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

When I did my big trip a few years ago, I replaced clutch and throttle cables. Cheap insurance. AND, like someone suggested, I kept the original cables on the bike. I ran the new ones next to the old ones. When I got back, I pulled the originals and stuck them in my XS11 parts tub.

Only lost a clutch cable on my old 80 CB650. Was an interesting drive.

Had a cable break on an old car I had once. Ended up running a wire from the carb thru the firewall/dash to a screwdriver I stabbed in the front seat. Pull the screwdriver back and hang on. Fun times.
                    1) Fire up Internet Explorer
                    2) http://www.yahoo.com
                    3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
                    4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

I keep a spare clutch cable and a spare throttle cable tied to the frame by the steering head. They don't take up valuable space, they're out of the way and they're not going to be 'forgotten' on a trip.

Now I will never break either cable!

-- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I carry one of these kits

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-...item25a552f387
                        Tom
                        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Cheap insurance to carry spare cables. I have carried mine for many miles and never needed them.
                          Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                          X