Ring Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring Compressor

What does everyone use to compress the rings so the cylinder will go on? The manual shows some metal clamps. What size clamps do I need to get?
    I also need to make a set of piston holders. I can not believe the manual says to make some out of wood and also gives you the dimensions. That is cool. I have a metal set but they are for a smaller rod.

Bill
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Rebuilding the drag bike engine regularly I had to work out a system.

I always polish the bottom chamfer inside the bore and use oil, the rings slip straight in, sometimes a gentle thumb nail helping a stray ring.

Always fit 2 and 3 cylinder pistons in first, then rotate the crank slowly so 1 and 4 pistons are ready to go in, that way its like doing a twin.
    Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
      Rebuilding the drag bike engine regularly I had to work out a system.

I always polish the bottom chamfer inside the bore and use oil, the rings slip straight in, sometimes a gentle thumb nail helping a stray ring.

Always fit 2 and 3 cylinder pistons in first, then rotate the crank slowly so 1 and 4 pistons are ready to go in, that way its like doing a twin.
      What do you use to hold the pistons?

Thanks.
      Bill
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

It helps to get an extra set of hands. Someone needs to be guiding the head down and someone needs two hands to be compressing the rings and feeding them into the chambers, two at a time as stated. I've tried chamfering the bottom edge as well, but I guess it was still at too much of an angle to compress the rings as they slid up. I have broke a ring doing this.. they are brittle.. so use caution.

They make ring compressors and sell them at Harbor Freight. I picked up 4, but they're such a hassle to use, I chunked them in the trash.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hose clamps are the shade tree method. Oil them up, compress the rings enough to slide in, and work slowly. You only need two, as you do the pistons in pairs.
          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

I just hold the pistons with my hands, slide the jugs down until over the pistons, slip the top of one piston in first by slightly tipping the jugs a little angle, the level it out and feed the other piston in. Move on to the outer pistons and do the same.

I do them on my own but it's definitely easier with two.
            Tom
            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
            X