Does your XS burn oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
    You could get someone behind you to watch your exhaust....then rev it fairly hard and see if it smokes on the power throttle, and then back off and let it run with engine compression/braking and see if it smokes then. The first would/could be worn rings....the latter leaky valve seals.
    ==========
    If it's anything like my old Chevy truck, the best way to check for leaky valve seals was (while cruising down the road) to let off the gas completely for a few seconds . . . then give it some gas. If you get brief smoke, it's engine vacuum pulling oil down past the valve seals -- though this may be impossible to observe while riding your own bike. As T.C. recommends, have someone follow and watch for you. Then again, oil is cheap compared to a rebuild, eh? Any final word on the full line actually being over full? I remember that from when I was doing highway miles before . . . once the oil level got about mid-way between the lines in the little viewing window, it could stay there for quite a while! I got used to checking the oil at *every* fuel stop; just carried a quart with me for convenience -- also good for starting campfires
    ==========
    After 12 years of waiting, I'm picking up my ride from the shop this Friday after work -- can't wait!
    JIM P.
    ==========
    79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by sail4free View Post
      ==========
      Then again, oil is cheap compared to a rebuild, eh?
      I thought the same and kept putting oil in, but when I got to stage where I was planning my fuel stops more worried about oil level than if I needed fuel, and never needed to do oil changes as there was always fresh oil in the engine, I thought it was time to do something about it.

I fitted new valve guide seals last June, changed the oil and havn't had to put more in since, that was about 3000 miles ago and the level hasn't changed.

So to answer your question, once its burning lots then no oil isn't cheaper. Not here at European prices.

And I now don't have to carry oil.
      Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
      X