Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought bike 6-7 months ago, broke down 2nd day of riding, took it completely apart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought bike 6-7 months ago, broke down 2nd day of riding, took it completely apart

Hey wuss up guys, so basically bought this bike, took it out for a ride in malibu and on the way back i kind of gasses on it too hard and it popped out of gear and would only shift from 1st gear to neutral, so had to ride it jome ( luckily only like 3-4 miles in 1st gear ) at that time i didnt know what the problem was so decided to take apart the whole engine to figure out what it might be (having no previous ecperience rebuilding engines ) got a manual and came across this forum. At that time self registration was closed and the forum had gotten some kind of glitch where it wouldnt allow the admin to make new acxounts, so i wasnt able to come on here and ask anybody for help. so while rebuilding broke off a couple off a couple of bolts here and there when i was putting it back together, and even though i labeled the bags in relation to the parts they came off of by the time i was putting it back couldnt find some parts ( but ofcourse found them when everything was put back together ) so anyways been working on this bike for 6-7 months on trying to put it back and get it back up and running for a road trip im going on with this bike in begining of august from los angeles to san jose to oregon to idaho to utah to vegas to arizona and back to cali, so anyways i put the engine back together , just installed the new 3 ohm dyna coils, chopped off some of the rear fram ( making it into a cafe racer ) and hopefully with in a couple of days gona try firing this thing up to see if it works. heres some pics throught the months
    Last edited by Mo_man19; 04-30-2015, 02:12 AM.
    Just an amateur 25 year old with a dream to be a mecahnic and have my own shop
    You're gonna need some patience when replying to my posts
    4 years of riding with 7 bikes
    1st bike: 1981 yamaha virago 535 bobber - sold
    2nd bike: 1997 yamaha virago 750 bobber-totalled
    3rd bike: 1996 yamaha virago 1100 bobber-totalled
    4th bike: 2004 yamaha r6 -completely totalled
    5th bike: 2013 Suzuki gsxr 750 repossesd after being totalled haha
    6th bike:1980 xs1100 lg- not totalled- yet

images of the process

Last edited by Mo_man19; 04-30-2015, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Wow! Up until the very end of your post, I assumed the worst and was thinking u were going to ask for help to put it back together. Looks like you either have great memory, or a decent working knowledge with your bike. Kudos for keeping it going. Despite one of my favorite XS models being chopped a little, I have no doubt it'll turn-out well. Anything you don't use, post on the forum.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

@Ian luckily i have GOD and the manual lol but even tho its put back together now today GOD willing is the first time im going to try firing it up. so GOD willing it goes good. and yea i chopped off basically the back mounting brackets for the stock seat to fit my cafe seat on there. now gotta put a steel plate under it, plus padding under the seat for support and find a way to mount it. and ill post whatever i dont use

Comment

Nice job! Welcome aboard!
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

thanks marty i was waiting for 6 months to start posting but better late than never

Comment

Looks mean, it's going to be a bit darker than original. You can make it any color you like as long as it's some shade of black
              You going to use that rear fender ? ? ?
              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
              80 XS650 G Special II
              https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
              80 XS 1100 SG
              81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
              https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
              AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Just to mention, it might be a good idea to turn the engine over by hand, making sure everything moves well and valves don't tangle with pistons etc.
                76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                80 XS650 G Special II
                https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                80 XS 1100 SG
                81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

What was wrong inside the engine?
                  78 E

Comment

@donebysunday yea i ended up painting the cylinder blocks flat black and in regards to the fender not sure yet. i know im not putting it back on the bike yet and yea i already turned over the engine by hand and nothing seems to be binding but whenbi add the oil im ging to be turning it over again a couple of times to lube everything up
                    @alaskey the shift pawl had popped out of and thus the reason why it wasnt shifting but by the time i figured that out the engine was already dissassembled

Comment

gear popping out..

Just to add in here.....I had the same prob. with my 81 special with the 2nd gear popping out. Sounds like you have the dreaded 2nd gear problem with these bikes. 2nd gear will need to be removed and the dogs worked on to catch the gear. Dremmelled that is. Keep us posted.
                      At this time:
                      1985 Goldwing Innr.
                      1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                      2007 vtx 1300
                      81 sx 1100 s h
                      81 sx 400 special

Comment

2nd gear fix....sort of..

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37214
                        At this time:
                        1985 Goldwing Innr.
                        1976 cb 750 cafe racer