4 into 1 vs. 4 into 2 exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 into 1 vs. 4 into 2 exhaust?

I am thinking about replacing my 4 into 1 black Jardine exhaust assy. I want to install a 4 into 2 chrome system I found on a website with turnout mufflers. I was just curious if anyone knows if this will decrease/increase my performance, or if there is a concensual preference for one than the other. Thanks again.

General impression is that the 4-1 improves top end performance, 4-2 is a bit better low-middle range perfformer. Some 4-2 systems include a balance tube that is said to improve bottom end response. 4-2 systms tend to be a bit heavier, more tubing plus 2 mufflers. I put a Jardine 4-2 system on the XJ, like the looks and exhaust sound.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Does the 4-2 with turn out pipes give a deeper exhaust sound? I want a little more noise out of it.

Comment

4 into 2 turnouts

Greetings:
        I bought my "79 XS11 equipped with what I think you are talking about. On mine the two outside pipes feed into one "muffler" and the two inside pipes feed into the other. The "mufflers," ( I'm not sure they do,) are large diameter pipes with the ends turned out 90 degrees to direct the exaust away from the bike.
        The look is muy macho and gnarley. The sound? Putting around under 4500 R.P.M. it's throaty but not harsh. When it hits that sweet spot though, it turns into a very businesslike snarl, or growl that just sounds incredibly cool when bouncing back at you from one of those concrete deviders at 50 to 70 M.P.H.+ The sound reminds me of those WW2 movies of the dive bombing Mustangs
        Can anyone tell me (or us!) what these things are called? Who manufactured them? Are they still being made? How do I replace mine when they burn, or rust out?
        I'd go on but the hour is late.
        Keep the rubber side down...
        Liberty
        Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
        I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

It sounds to me like you are describing a set of headers made by Jardine. I have a set on my bike also. My mufflers are differet, though. I had a very hard time finding out who made them, but I finally saw the manufacturers name on the mounting tab on the muffler, where it attaches to the rear foot peg bracket. If you look at my pics (posted in the link below) you'll see what I'm talking about concerning the crossover pipes.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am trying to find a nice chrome set of 4 into 2 with either a straight back exhaust, or 90 degree turnout for an affordable price. The guy who owned the bike before me tried to make alot more "sporty" than it is supposed to look, and I've hated it ever since. I am trying to return it to it's original chromed look with a little performance extras. If anyone knows a good place to find a nice set of pipes fitting this description, please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

4into 2

Crain main,
              I still have my original header pipes and I replaced a set of campbells which were like the original stock pipes. Had them for years and finallylast year replced those with dunstalls.they are cheaper (couldnt find another campbell set) I had to put reducers collars from the header to the muffler pipe but I like them cause they look fairly stock. Youll see alot of them on 650 yammys.I have a 79f. At first they sounded kind of honda like( then I was thinking header) but now that i have apile of miles(1000) on them they sound like a yamaha with a nice barky header. Not to loud but deep and growly. I did have to rejet the mains up one size(,forgot ,k+n filter too.)Decided l am going to go up even one more on the mains just to richen the top end a little more. Bike sounds good and yes ive found with the 4 into 2 the low to three quarter power band the bike yanks and hauls.cant get any 125mph"s any more.about 118, but the bike is 26 years old.But it gets me there darn quick. nice to read from the guys that these bikes can have just about any and everything done to them with pleasing results. Depends how deep your pockets are.
              Steve

Comment

They are available from

DennisKirk.com

They are called 4 into 2 MAC turnouts on that site. About 350 bucks. I am going to get a set to put on my '80 XS1100 Special. Got a friend who has one, and he has the 4 into 2, although he has custom fish fin muffllers on it, and the sound is awesome.
                "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit"

Comment

You can get them direct from MAC for $299. I got mine through Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse, the tapered ones, for $275.

MAC

MAW Warehouse

Comment

Turn outs

I saw the tapered ones, they look good too, but my personal preference were the ones called turn outs, although I am not sure why they call them that. They seemed to turn down to me, not out.

Comment

XS11 HEADER

I bought an XS1100 special and someone took the baffle out,,,,will it hurt the bike to run it without the baffle ? it has a 4 into 1 kerker header on it and its open on the end and REAL loud

Comment

Mostly your hearing

I am very new to these bikes so take this with a grain of salt, but I actually took the lining out of my muffler to get a louder noise, and this is what happened to me. First let me say that I don't know what kind of exhaust you have, but in mine there was not a baffle per se, but actually some fiberglass filling that can be purchased from a local bike shop to replace if you want a quieter bike. If yours was purchased that way, then your carbs/jets/etc. are probably tuned to that exhaust. In my case, I just removed the fiberglass and didn't have the carbs tuned, and it killed my performance. I wound up putting at least part of it back in (new stuff) and having my carbs cleaned/synced/rejetted/etc. Runs like a champ now. Anything you do on these bikes to change the airflow also effects the carbs and carb settings, so they also have to be changed accordingly. As far as I know, it won't hurt to run it without it, although you will probably suffer some loss of power.

Comment

header 4 to 1

When I got it it had the 4 in 1 on it . It had an end on the muffler when I got it...Its a kerker header and muffler but where the plug is missing is at the very end of the exhaust [muffler] and the opening is about 4 inches in diameter, It looks like the ass end of a crotch rocket muffler with no plug...I have a cone shaped baffle that i can put in it and it is so much easier on the ears. But I didnt know if I should run it all the time like that [open]........I like to run it LOUD sometimes but dont want to hurt the bike there is nothing else wrong with it,

Comment

baffle

You are correct, mine is Kerker also and it does have a cone shaped baffle in the end. I am not sure exactly what it is for, some noise reduction I am sure, but the real stuff that quiets it down is that fiberglass lining. If you pull the baffle out, do you have a long pipe attached to it? If so, that is what you wrap the fiberglass around, then reinsert it in the muffler. I don't think I would run mine without the baffle. It sounded pretty good without the lining though. The only reason I put it back was the performance deal, and I could have had the carbs synced/jetted to that I suppose. I actually want to go back to the 4 into 2 setup though. The mechanic who worked on mine has that setup and it sounded so sweet. Plenty loud, but with a good deep throaty sound to it.

Comment

baffle

no mine doesn't have the long pipe--I was going down the highway one night and heard and explosion and it turned out to be the baffle and the inside pipe and any other goodies in there being blow out all over the road,I didnt stop,,lol But I found the other plug at a junk yard so I have been using it It has a little fiberglass wrapped around it and where the hole should be at the end of the exhaust it has plates that you can tighten or loosen but they seem to be froze. So I run it that way, there doesnt seem to be any power loss with it in. Its a 79 XS ELEVEN SPECAIL, I have an 80 XS for parts it has duals on it,I thought about putting those on there.

Comment

Working...
                              X